Please Help! Batt/Alt issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMax

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2011
Alright guys, i tried searching the forums and i cant really tell if anybody has had this problem for sure. The other night i pulled into a parking lot and noticed my lights were very dim. Also, the person behind me pulled in and said i had no brake lights or tail lights. I shut my car off and they were even more dim. I go to start my car again. Nothing. Not even a click. I get a jump from my buddy, my lights and everything are just as bright as they should be when he hooks the cables up. I let it charge for a sec, and the car starts. The lights however, are still pretty dim. I go to pull away and sure enough my car sputters and dies. I think to myself "alternator" so i go grab one from the garage and swap it out. I swap said alternator in the waffle house parking lot lol, and get my friend to jump me again. It does the same thing. In a final effort i have him jump me ONE MORE TIME, but this time i kept the cables hooked up for about 2-3 minutes. The car started fine, ran fine, no electrical issues, nothing. I drove it around all day sunday with no issues as well. This morning, i hop in the car to go to work and start it. I noticed that the car did sound SLIGHTLY weak when turning over. I let the car run, crank up the heat and mosey on inside. i come outside after a few minutes and i get in and turn my lights on. My lights were VERY dim and the car even bogged down for a second. This maybe happened for a second, then the lights were fine. I was a little paranoid, so i decided to shut the car off and start it again. NOTHING. Please guys, help me out here? 1985 monte carlo with 350 sbc swapped in. I kept all factory alternator wiring hooked up on the car. It is as it should be. I just don't know what it can be. By the way, the car has a brand new starter. Help!

take both off and take em to your local auto parts store and have them checked. if the voltage regulater in the alt is bad it will still run the car when jumped but will do exactly what your saying. also the batt could have a bad cell. it could be reading 12 volts on a volt meter but if the cranking AMPS are low it will be weak sounding when starting. start there and reply back with what happens. i had this problem. if it isnt the alt or batt ill give you a couple other things 2 check.

Your last sentence might be the answer......this wasnt happening before the starter swap......you might have damaged a fusible link when changing out your starter.....read this.........

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22252
viewtopic.php?p=39940

I never swapped the starter i just put a new one on when i built the car. I will take by batt and alt up and have them tested. I will let you guys know what comes up! Thanks!

Check all the wires to your starter make sure they ain't loose. Check the positive cable for burn spots out wear marks where it might be coming in contact with the frame and our exhaust manifold.

Sounds like the classic symptoms of a bad battery to me.

A dead cell will cause all kind of weird electrical issues, including the ones you have.

Roger.

If i had a dead cell, would it still be fine for an entire day of starting and running a couple times? And then wait until 2 days later to start giving me grief?

you prolly lost a cell in your battery
alternators need 12+ v to start charging
since you left the cables on the other car hooked up untill the alternator could keep up with all the stuff you got on
next morning just totally killed the battery
replace battery
start car
check voltage
and make sure that batt+ is good from the alternator to the batt
chould be anywhere from 13.3-14.5 depending how much stuff you got on

I'd start out by making sure all the wiring is in good shape and the grounds are clean before I'd begin changing parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor