Please Help! Batt/Alt issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through all the grounds when i put the car together. Last night i had my battery tested. Sure enough, it had a dead cell. I bought a new battery, and started the car. I let the car run for a sec, then i took the hot cable off of the battery. The car dies. I say screw it and go buy a new alternator. With the new alternator i did the same thing and the car stayed running. I took the hot cable off of the car a total of 3 times with the new battery and alternator. The first time, the car kept running. Second time, car shut off. Third time, car kept running. I'm going to do some more tests when i get off work but the car is doing fine right now. Oh, and i don't have my volt gauge hooked up.

How do i do that exactly?

To check alternator output with a multimeter select a dc range at 20v or more, put the red lead to the battery + terminal, the black lead to the - terminal and see what you get.
If the alternator is good it should read 13.5-15 volts with the engine running, it should maintain this reading with lights, fan and other electrical services on.

It's not a good idea to run the engine with the battery disconnected, it's designed to run with the battery, its purpose is to keep the battery charged. Do it too often and you are asking for alternator trouble.

Roger.

rustyroger said:
It's not a good idea to run the engine with the battery disconnected, it's designed to run with the battery, its purpose is to keep the battery charged. Do it too often and you are asking for alternator trouble.

Roger.

and that could be why the alternator fried, it was being over worked due to the battery with a dead cell..

pontiacgp said:
rustyroger said:

Roger.

and that could be why the alternator fried, it was being over worked due to the battery with a dead cell..

That's what i was thinking. I'm just a little paranoid now.

14 volts at idle with nothing on except for the clock and the radio is on standby. 12 volts with brights, wipers, all that stuff on. Sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor