polish stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
I'd like to get my top bed molding polished on my 87 El Camino over the winter. Does anyone know who does this type of thing? I've researched it and it is a bit more difficult to do than I thought.
Thanks

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I thought I seen something about this on Hot Rod t.v. They used oven cleaner on the trim and let it sit. Then wipe it off and use a good aluminum polish, I think they used flitz with a high speed buffer pad on a drill.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Pokertramp, that is a procedure for anodized aluminum trim, like 90% of the trim on g-body's.

It's been a while since I've had my Camino's around, but I'm about 99.9% sure that the bed moldings are stainless...

Where do you live? I work in a restoration shop, and I do all the stainless trim repairing/polishing at my work. I've done about 15 cars worth, and these are 50's and 60's cars with a sh*t ton of trim. Maybe I can sneak yours in on the side...

grandville75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
Northern NJ
polish stainless steel trim

Eastwood corpaoration www.eastwoodco.com sells a stainless steel polishing kit that is used on a standard bench grinder. I used it to polish all the stainless (lots of trim) on my 75 Pontiac Grandville Conv. - works great. Just make sure your trim items are real stainless steel or just polished aluminum. Eastwood would be able to help either way. Hope this helps.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If in doubt whether SS or alum, a magnet will only cling to SS.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
I use something called neverdull and mothers mag and alum polish both work great and zoop seal over it will let it stay like chrome for up to a year before polishing it again.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
trim

stainless steel is not magnetic....jesse :D

1979mc

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Houston TX

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Depends on the grade of stainless actually.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
supercrackerbox said:
Depends on the grade of stainless actually.

Exactly. My friend sells restaurant equipment and some of the prep tables are made in China, it is stainless but a magnet sticks to it. I think they are a mix of metals. Also he had a bumper replaced for his van, the metal was thin as hell and the chrome looked like it was painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor