Pontiac 455, Edelbrock rpm intake & hood clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
buzz77 said:
I don't have doubts, other than my expertise level is low. That and everyone I talk to including mechanics always try to steer me towards Sbc 350, something I don't want to do.
Good man! Don't follow the sheeple the only reason why they are telling you to go sbc 350 is because they ARE a dime a dozen and there are tons of readily available parts. But once you drive a big Pontiac motor you will be hooked, that and besides my 455 eats 350's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Reactions: 1 user

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
[quote="G-Body_VetI've swapped out a few metric 200's for TH350's and it's a piece of cake. I've been told before that the 301 accessory brackets will fit 350/400/455's as well. The 301 mount brackets and motor mounts for a g-body are what you want for a swap. The earlier Pontiac mount brackets are taller....such as ones from an older b-body.[/quote]

Im still on the fence as how to go. With the posi rear 3.42 gears I installed, I can now use an OD transmission. So the 200 4r is on my radar. But if I swap out the 301, it would be more cost effective to mate a larger Pontiac engine with the th350.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Good man! Don't follow the sheeple the only reason why they are telling you to go sbc 350 is because they ARE a dime a dozen and there are tons of readily available parts. But once you drive a big Pontiac motor you will be hooked, that and besides my 455 eats 350's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Oh I know. I prefer to leave the 301 in there and just add a cam then go with the sheep and throw a chevy engine in there. I have found running Pontiac 350 engines spanning 1969-73 selling for just a few hundred bucks. I would be looking at something real mild. With a 69-71 350 probably just add a 4bbl intake and a cam. But I'm not sure what else would be required to keep it reliable, especially on a budget.

Probably a stupid question but would I require a complete rebuild or just an overhaul?

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
buzz77 said:

Oh I know. I prefer to leave the 301 in there and just add a comps cam, rather than follow the sheep and throw a chevy engine in there. I have come across running Pontiac 350 engines spanning 1969-73 selling for just a few hundred bucks. Im contemplating something real mild. With a 69-71 350, probably just add a 4bbl intake and a cam. But I'm not sure what else would be required to keep it reliable, especially on a budget.

Probably a stupid question but would I require a complete rebuild on a 40 year old engine? Will an overhaul be the minimum required?

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Well that sounds like a good plan, you can't go wrong with a good running Pontiac 350. I say if it's running just give it a tune up after you put it in, no rebuild is needed if it runs good. For performance the Pontiac 301 was the least desired/hp but anything above that would be a great improvement. What do you have for a car now?

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I have 1979 GP. Stock 2bbl 301. Just installed a posi rear, and Now im deciding on a transmission. A 200-4R or a th350. At this second I can use the overdrive, the 3.42 gears don't agree with the th200 metric on the highway. But if I go with something bigger the th350 would work, and from looking at the prices would seem to be a lot more cost effective.

Attachments

• 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 679
Reactions: 1 user

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
buzz77 said:
I have 1979 GP. Stock 2bbl 301. Just installed a posi rear, and Now im deciding on a transmission. A 200-4R or a th350. At this second I can use the overdrive, the 3.42 gears don't agree with the th200 metric on the highway. But if I go with something bigger the th350 would work, and from looking at the prices would seem to be a lot more cost effective.

Here's something to think about. A stock 200-4R won't take much abuse in stock form. Pre-'83 g-bodies don't have the frame extension to accommodate the right crossmember. 200-4R uses a tv cable, TH350 uses detention cable. Dipsticks tubes are different, then there's lockup vs non-lockup converter and a means of controlling the lockup.

I'm all for using a 200-4R but it's not a drop in deal. I have a 3.73 rear end and I'm debating on building a 200-4R or just swapping to a 3.08 and going with a TH-400. I want the OD though.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Same here, I really like the idea of an OD. Another thing I can't get my head around is the lock up verse non lock up torque coverter and how to choose the right one.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey Steve, I have had both Pontiac 350 and 400's in my Malibu wagon with no issues at all, 455 is no different. I used the mandatory 301 mounts and the stock GM Pontiac V-8 air cleaners fit under the hood. I understand the RPM manifold is a bit taller, so you may lose an inch or so. You could use a 301 Q-jet air cleaner which is a bit shorter than the usual Pontiac V-8 style, or a dropped base type. If flow becomes an issue, another snorkle could be added to the 301 unit easy enough.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Bonnewagon said:
Hey Steve, I have had both Pontiac 350 and 400's in my Malibu wagon with no issues at all, 455 is no different. I used the mandatory 301 mounts and the stock GM Pontiac V-8 air cleaners fit under the hood. I understand the RPM manifold is a bit taller, so you may lose an inch or so. You could use a 301 Q-jet air cleaner which is a bit shorter than the usual Pontiac V-8 style, or a dropped base type. If flow becomes an issue, another snorkle could be added to the 301 unit easy enough.

Hey Mark, long time, no see huh? I'm the not 100% sold on the rpm intake just yet but I hadn't really thought about a 301 air cleaner. I have a mountain of parts ready to go on the car. I'm in the middle of setting it on the frame and moving it to my new location. Once that's done I'll be posting more pics in my build thread. I managed to find an Edlebrock 1910 Q-jet while I was in Minnesota for work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor