Pontiac 455, Edelbrock rpm intake & hood clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
buzz77 said:
84GP455 said:
The one I have is a BRF code from a 87 GN which I think had those improvements, as long as your TV cable is adjusted correctly that is the most important thing, these transmission's are very sensitive to TV cable settings. You could burn up a brand new transmission with all the bullet proof parts you want in 10 minutes if that cable isn't adjusted properly. I've been beating on mine pretty well since 2012 :D

Is this a stock Transmission? How much power is your 455 making? I've always found the so called stage 1 hi performance 200 4r rebuild with skepticism. If the GNX produced 276hp and 360 foot pounds of torque net, these transmissions should hold up to most stock muscle car era engines without the need to beef them up. Why dish out 1600 to monster transmissions or whomever to 'bullet proof" it to stage 1. Yet others say the torque of the late 60's early 70's engines would destroy an overdrive transmissions.
Yes this is a stock transmission, like I said, it is out of a stock 87 GN and it is holding up so far. As far as power goes I am not sure how much hp my engine makes but it is not a stock 455 and the torque is always evident with these motors. Those GN's made some serious torque all at once off the line my brother had a Buick turbo T-type and that thing pulled harder than my car did so I don't know why they break so easily except that the TV cable has to be correct or it will burn them out quickly.

grant's prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2007
Great White North
I run a 400 with the RPM, it fits, but I use an open element air filter that goes down lower over the carb (Holley 650). I used to have a dual snorkel air cleaner with the lid reversed and that cut into the hood frame. I am going to a 2004r as well but from California - Art Carr. I now run an 8.5 out of a Grand National as well, so I have to get the damn drive shaft cut again and rebalanced. I am taking the 650 out and putting in a Q-Jet one day from Cliff's Q-Jets. My brother in law is running one of their carbs on his 79 455 T-10 equipped GP and it is a monster with no issues for getting fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor