Pontiac and Saturn to be phased out

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, Saturn cars are not junk.

I've had personal experiences with a saturn (not mine), ever try to buy a standard transmission manual?....you can't cause they never published them for the public...that's just dumb

and you might want to read reviews of saturn cars.....

Why would I read reviews on the net?

My comments are based on real life experience dealing with 1000z of customers, not sitting behind a computer.

My/our CSI, Customer Satification Index, was always at the top.

Saturn was the red headed step child and did not get the benefits of all their programs but GM would pick a choose from Saturn as they wanted.

GM always included Saturn in there overall CSI ads to bring thier numbers up.

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread. First, GM is planning on selling or closing Saturn, Hummer, and Saab. They are NOT planning on killing Pontiac. They are instead planning to make Pontiac a niche product line, primarily selling performance cars instead of rebadged Cavaliers. Second, if you want a service manual for a Saturn, you get them from Helm:

www.helminc.com

joe_padavano said:
Wow, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread. First, GM is planning on selling or closing Saturn, Hummer, and Saab. They are NOT planning on killing Pontiac. They are instead planning to make Pontiac a niche product line, primarily selling performance cars instead of rebadged Cavaliers. Second, if you want a service manual for a Saturn, you get them from Helm:

www.helminc.com

tried your link...

"No items found. Helm does not carry any products that match the criteria you have searched. Possible reasons may include the following: your manufacturer has discontinued this product or such a product does not exist. Please check the criteria to ensure that you entered in all information accurately. If you need further assistance, please contact your vehicle manufacturer."

I tried to buy a manual straight from GM publications and they told me the manual was never published for the public. I even went to the Saturn dealer and begged to pay for a photocopy of the transmission manual and was told due to copyright they couldn't copy it...

It will downscale Pontiac to just a few models sold through Chevy dealers, and that makes sense to me rather than have all the clones. Why does GM need GMC Truck? That one never made sense to me. The trimming of the fat finally came down to a do or die situation.

Don't blame the government or people for not buying American. The American auto industry has killed itself for dozens of reasons, the consumer or government is not to blame for what has happened. Can they survive? If they start to conform to the standards of the brands that sell, the standards that most Americans have now come to expect and also the modern world standards of auto manufacturing. The old UAW and fat-cat executive management mentality has to end. It's just the steel industry extinction happening all over again, and no one learned anything from history.

-UT-

IIRC Buick is actually selling quite well in China. :? fwiw. So I can see them keeping that around. :roll:

I had a '96 Saturn SL2, and apart from a few quirks (the computer would just randomly freak out and you had to shut it down and restart it) it was a decent car, put 200k on it before I sold it 😀 This was before they started rebadging the euro cars... Saturn should have been left alone instead of trying to "bring it into the family"... Bit of trivia, some of the parts I would get for that Saturn were labelled as "Packard", which I always thought was funny 😀

GM fails to bring original cars to the market, half of them are rebadged from Toyota, Suzuki, Daewoo, Opel etc. Plus they get a big FAIL in the marketing department. Instead of selling *cars* they focused too much on selling *loans*. The new GTO was the biggest marketing failure of them all. They're still doing it, pay attention to the car ads you see, and how many of them tout 0% down! $159/mo! (for 7 yrs!!!!) etc. etc. People will buy cars they like, if they know they are out there (GTO *cough*) and what they're about.

Unfortunate about Pontiac, I guess this means we won't get a rebadged Camaro/Trans Am 😢

Uncletruck said:
It will downscale Pontiac to just a few models sold through Chevy dealers, and that makes sense to me rather than have all the clones. Why does GM need GMC Truck? That one never made sense to me. The trimming of the fat finally came down to a do or die situation.

-UT-

GMC does all the big commercial type trucks for GM. Thats why they are not going to go under

pontiacgp said:
joe_padavano said:

www.helminc.com

tried your link...

"No items found. Helm does not carry any products that match the criteria you have searched. Possible reasons may include the following: your manufacturer has discontinued this product or such a product does not exist. Please check the criteria to ensure that you entered in all information accurately. If you need further assistance, please contact your vehicle manufacturer."

I tried to buy a manual straight from GM publications and they told me the manual was never published for the public. I even went to the Saturn dealer and begged to pay for a photocopy of the transmission manual and was told due to copyright they couldn't copy it...

What year/model Saturn? I get to this page at Helm, and when I search random years and models, I get listings for factory service manuals. Usually these include the trans.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_serv ... 38GABB8KR6

silver455 said:
Uncletruck said:

-UT-

GMC does all the big commercial type trucks for GM. Thats why they are not going to go under

But they ARE talking about possibly eliminating the duplication of models. It always frosted me that the Ford supposedly had the best-selling truck for decades, but if you added the sales of the identical Chevy and GMC trucks, it blew Ford away.

GP403 said:
I had a '96 Saturn SL2, and apart from a few quirks (the computer would just randomly freak out and you had to shut it down and restart it)...

When did Saturns start using Windows? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor