Popping from the carb..

Status
Not open for further replies.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
i suspect the cam is worn in my camaro.. runs fine.. drives fine.. pops under load... sounded like a miss when your in the car...but under load under the hood with the air cleaner off it appears that its popping out of the carb.. i think i seen some unburnt fuel as well..

sound like a cam?.. or is there anything else i should check?

timing is good, new wires and plugs... hei and ignition seem to be working ..

car works fine as long as your easy on it... will rev to 5k as long as you don't punch it.

SBC and a Q-jet... i also adjusted my needles as they were lean IMO..

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
oh.. here's another intersting tidbit..

after a run up the highway (about 30 mins) i get off to stop and get food.. the car has a mean lifter tick.. go inside.. east come out and tick is gone...

i dont know if that has anything to do with this issue... but could..

cars also has 115,000KM original cam, lifters timing chain... ect..

should be about time wouldnt you say?....

never had any issues with my cutlass... :lol:

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
My first guess would be timing but now after what you say it would be a camshaft, busted push rods or sticking valves. Check vacuum lines???

If it was a worn camshaft it would seem to run fine but usually when you get on it, no matter how much you give it the gas it probably wouldn't go over 30-40 mph.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
oh no... it'll do 140km no problem... just feels like a miss.. but you back off the throttle a bit and its fine..

im gonna check the lines tomorrow for cracks and leaks.. maybe check the seal at the base too..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd check the plug wires and make sure you have them on the right plug..also depending on the quality plug wires you could be getting spark induction from wires laying against each other...or you could be getting a cross fire from a defective cap

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
pontiacgp said:
I'd check the plug wires and make sure you have the on the right plug..also depending on the quality plug wires you could be getting spark induction from wires laying against each other...or you could be getting a cross fire from a defective cap

Yeah probably something in the ignition. Go with what he said and look around. Maybe the ticking noise you thought you heard was something in the ignition sparking? Just a thought....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Do you have an exhaust manifold leak? Is your air injection system leaking? Does it have a lopey idle? What year Camaro, and which engine is in it? If it is a LG4 305, there is a possibility of a bad cam as GM used poor quality cam blanks with insufficient heat treating in most non-HO 305's, and they are known to go flat.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Ticking could be a exhaust leak or sticking lifter. Stops ticking when oil frees it up. I had the same problem. Car wouldn't run for jack going up a hill or on the low end. Heck my cam was so wore out I couldn't even do a burnout. Dropped cam, lifter, and double roller and it fixed the problem. Still have a minor exhaust leak I think though. Not saying that's your problem but just a suggestion.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
i thought possible exhaust leak as well.. but the sound is intermittent.. no consistent tick... one time its there... next its not...

it is the lg4 305... it's in my 80 camaro.. and its original to this car.

any tips on checking the exhaust? right at the mani i assume is where it would be leaking... which could be possible beacust this car still retains it's original manifolds and y pipe.

bordercutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
Lloydminster Alberta/Saskatchewan
If your timing chain has stretched, it can throw you timing out and cause a "retard" back fire. I'd try advancing the timing a degree or two and see if that clears it up. My truck with over 200,000 miles did the same thing, I checked the timing and it was bang on, but once I advanced the timing it was like a whole different truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor