POR 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Reputable powder coating shops have a variety of silicone caps and plugs that go into the holes and don't melt when the part is baked. Make sure you thoroughly wash out the axle housing before you install gears and bearings. I use the pressure washer at the car wash and lots of rinsing. Two or three bucks gets the job done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Khanz77

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2016
Reputable powder coating shops have a variety of silicone caps and plugs that go into the holes and don't melt when the part is baked. Make sure you thoroughly wash out the axle housing before you install gears and bearings. I use the pressure washer at the car wash and lots of rinsing. Two or three bucks gets the job done.
will do, thanks for the info!

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yep they have the caps as stayted. my son works for a company , he is the painter, lucky for me it is always free.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
this is the last thing he powder coated for me.
12036701_10204442557773616_8194439141965215132_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The only issue with powder coating, that I've found, is finding someone that will do it correctly. The surface needs to be prepped correctly, the correct type of powder coat needs to be used depending on component use, and it needs to be applied in the correct amount.

If you couldn't tell, I've had some bad powder coating work done. But, it truly is the best way to go. But the POR will work just as well if the surface is prepped correctly without the hassles of a complete teardown, waiting, and travelling to the powder coater.

Wonderboy - those parts look great!

• Agree

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
The only issue with powder coating, that I've found, is finding someone that will do it correctly. The surface needs to be prepped correctly, the correct type of powder coat needs to be used depending on component use, and it needs to be applied in the correct amount.

If you couldn't tell, I've had some bad powder coating work done. But, it truly is the best way to go. But the POR will work just as well if the surface is prepped correctly without the hassles of a complete teardown, waiting, and travelling to the powder coater.

Wonderboy - those parts look great!
thanks. yes prep and right person doing the powder coating. i had everything i could powder coated. even had the seat pans for the front buckets powder coated.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
yep they have the caps as stated. my son works for a company , he is the painter, lucky for me it is always free.
If I could get it done for free nearly everything would be powder coated on my car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Put some plastic down on the floor and wear disposable gloves. This stuff on bare skin is like a tattoo for a while.

Don't attempt this job in a closed garage - the fumes get into the house and they STINK!

A half pint can is enough for the axle. If you use a larger can, pour it into a margarine cup - don't paint from the can - crumbs dragged into the paint supply from the brush will catalyze the rest of the paint in the can in just a couple days. Once you have opened the can and dripped some on the rim, use plastic wrap under the lid or the lid will weld itself to the can.

If you have a quart can, I found that Fleischmans small tubs are a close match to the top of a quart can. Cut the bottom of the tub off and press it into the gutter in the can rim and you have a nice pouring spout. Pop it out and grab the paint off the tub with a brush. When it dries, you can peel the POR 15 off like tape. Don't use a styrofoam cup - solid or foamed, the PRO 15 eats right through it.

I use disposable 1-1/2" foam brushes from Home Depot. They will soften up in the POR 15 after a while, so get a few.

Here's what mine looked like with Top Coat applied.
DSCN6233.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I don'thave the rearend pics on my phone from before and after POR15 treatment, but their in my build thread.
In fact, i will be using some aerosol POR15 ina couple hours on my hood hinges....i will snap some pics and post em up later.
As stated.....definitely protect yourself and if you get it on your skin, use acetone immediately or it will hang around awhile!!! Here is my engine bay with chassis cote with uv inhibitors in it. This is brushed, not sprayed and it self leveled to a smooth finish.
20140112_120413.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor