Posi swap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I can tell you this much: You will need either a spacer or a thick gear set.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
That i figured,i talked to a guy who builds tractors for pulling. He said he has used spacers with no problems on his builds. I think i will just get the gears and redo the whole rearend. I was just hoping it could be rebuildable as i don't want to put it in and find out its worn out.

disorder_in_dminor

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 18, 2005
Michigan
How do you tell if you have a thick gear set?

I seem to have the EXACT same carrier as this guy, I see the ring gear that is on the carrier is thinner than the 3.73 gearset ring gear I bought from the chevy guy down the street, does this mean i have the thick gear set?

monzaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2007
Richfield, Oh
posi limited slip unit

The unit pictured is a FACTORY Auburn GM limited slip differential... It uses Cones to deliver the posi action to the case and in turn get it to the ground.

ALL aftermarket Auburns use the screw on caps not bolt on plate with torque screw heads again pictured.

Thick gears: NO FACTORY GEARS are thick...Period. All GM gears are standard thickness. So if you have a GM marked gear it will be as follows.

3.23 -4.56 are all 3 series gears
3.08 -2.14 are all 2 series carrier gears.

The only guide on thick gear ID is sometimes in the part number stamped into the gears MIGHT have a T for thick or X for extra something in that way. If it does not it is pretty much a hard deal to tell if you do not have a standard gear to compare next to it. When you get into the 4.10 range they all start looking the same. lol.

Zexen torsen gleasen posi unit...They are a pretty good design and are different than a friction type posi in that they do not use cones or clutches that apply friction against the case for traction. They are a helical initia sliding set of worm gears. They are used in most Imprt and foreign cars now and were getting frequent use when the camaros and trans ams at the end of htere run. (true trac is a form of zexen torsen posi unit and are inproved with more sliding gears to hold more torque then the stocker units.

Hope some of this info will be useful to you. Jim

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the info! So is it rebuildable?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Auburn diffs are rebuildable if memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor