Posi unit decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickss

n00b
Jan 28, 2007
east tn.
I have a posi unit from a 8.5 inch rear but cannot identify it as a 2 or 3 series carrier. I have read what casting numbers should be found on it but they are not there. the only numbers on the unit are 725 and they are in large letters on the ring gear flange. If anyone knows hoe to identify it by measuring the ring gear flange offset i could identify it that way. I currently have a grand national rear in my 87 ss and the rearend is starting to get a slight whine so i want to use this posi unit and go from 3.42 to 3.73 gears when i do the rebuild. The motor really pulls hard to around 5500 so i think it could benefit from a little extra gear. This is a daily driver so i dont want to get to low with the gear but it needs positraction. Any help would be appreciated.

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
what gears were on this carrier ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor