Possible Transmission Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022
When you have the TV cable off the trans applies max pump pressure as a protection, ie. cable breakage. I'm assuming being at max pressure long enough caused the heat. Since it wasn't shifting it should be fine.
This is false if you're talking about the 200-4R or 700-R4. If the cable breaks, the plunger goes back to minimum pressure in the transmission as it's spring loaded inside the trans, resulting in wiping out the clutches if you're driving. I know as it happened to me and I had to have the clutches and plates replaced. I have the Bowler setup installed on my 200-4R CZ transmission in my 88 SS.
Here's a good video on how the TV cable works on the plunger in the transmission: GM TV transmission cable explained

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
You'd figure these geometry corrector brackets were made to mimic the action of the factory brackets, to be as close as possible, but not exact... hence, aftermarket.

I havent had to modify my holley brackets at all, and the trans shifts like it should, and it has been more than satifactory to me... its just a matter of properly adjusting the TV cable.

Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
This is false if you're talking about the 200-4R or 700-R4. If the cable breaks, the plunger goes back to minimum pressure in the transmission as it's spring loaded inside the trans, resulting in wiping out the clutches if you're driving. I know as it happened to me and I had to have the clutches and plates replaced. I have the Bowler setup installed on my 200-4R CZ transmission in my 88 SS.
Here's a good video on how the TV cable works on the plunger in the transmission: GM TV transmission cable explained
I think you are mistaken. I was wrong about it applying max pressure when the cable is disconnected, it applies elevated pressure. The following was from another forum. If your transmission was rebuilt maybe they didn't install the check ball.

"fail safe mode" is when the TV cable minimum setting is not set correctly , there is a check ball that will seat ( if the builder installed it) and the transmission goes into fail safe mode..... which is high line pressure and late / firm shifts.

Same system is on a 700r4 transmission. Leave the check ball out and the fail safe system does not function.

Below this is from the 86 Monte Carlo manual.

2. The second function of the assembly involves the T.V. exhaust valve lifter rod, spring and the T.V. exhaust ball. The function of this system is to
prevent the transmission from operating at low (idle position) pressures, if the T.V. cable should
become broken or disconnected. If the cable is not connected or broken, the T.V. lifter rod will not move from its normal, spring loaded, up position
which holds the T.V. exhaust check ball off its seat. The T.V. lifter rod will drop down to allow the T.V. exhaust ball to seat only if the cable is broken, disconnected or extremely out of
adjustment. With the transmission pan removed, it should be possible to pull down on the T.V. exhaust valve lifter rod and the springs should return the rod to its normal up position. If the
throttle lever and bracket assembly or lifter rod binds or sticks so that the T.V. lifter rod cannot lift the exhaust ball off its seat, high line pressures and delayed upshifts will result. The normal shape of the T.V. lifter rod is shown in Figure
7A-6. The right angle leg must not be bent to any other angle or it will not function properly.

Last edited:

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
You'd figure these geometry corrector brackets were made to mimic the action of the factory brackets, to be as close as possible, but not exact... hence, aftermarket.

I havent had to modify my holley brackets at all, and the trans shifts like it should, and it has been more than satifactory to me... its just a matter of properly adjusting the TV cable.
They are made to mimic the factory geometry but in the instructions they list, at least for my Sonnax corrector, that they are for multiple transmissions like the Ford AOD, 4L60, and the 200-4R.

They have listed in the instructions that the cable travel distance should be measured and should be 1.4" for the 200-4R.

I always measure pump pressure when performing any adjustment. I would rather know that it's right than hope.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think you are mistaken. The following was from another forum. If your transmission was rebuilt maybe they didn't install the check ball.
Interesting. I always wondered why there was a spring loaded "hair pin" in the TV lever. I always thought your pressure would just drop out. It's explained in the Hydramatic tech manual circa 1980 for 200-4R. This is not to say you should drive your car without the cable connected, but if it breaks, you'll have a little bit of pressure to perhaps get you to a service facility.

200-4R TV Exhaust Check Valve.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022
Hey - today I learned! Next time (hopefully not anytime soon) I pull my pan, I'll see if there's a ball. I wonder when they included this "feature".
It could be that since I went with aftermarket parts, the shop didn't include this ball. Dang it. It's a tough pill to swallow having to have your freshly rebuilt transmission rebuilt again due to the TV line breaking.

Here's a fun picture. After my rebuild, I added a deep pan and found a spring sticking out, which looks like this ball setup. Maybe I lost the ball somewhere and that's
why my trans failed when the line snapped.

P1010575s[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Good video from Bowler Performance, heres another good example...

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Hey - today I learned! Next time (hopefully not anytime soon) I pull my pan, I'll see if there's a ball. I wonder when they included this "feature".
The T.V. lifter rod is supposed to be inside that spring and partially hanging out the bracket with the A stamped in it. It looks like they didn't install it correctly. If they didn't install the check ball I don't think the TV lifter rod will have any function so it shouldn't matter.

I don't think the ball fell out. It is in the valve body so it is captive. The shop that built your transmission probably left it out.

69hurstolds showed the page from a 1980 manual which is a pretty early 200-4R. The manual I was referencing was a 1986.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
As for the steel TV CABLE possibly snapping, highly unlikely, stretch over time perhaps requiring adjustment years down the road... i'd be more worried about the plastic piece that snaps onto the carb throttle lever breaking, head cycled from high underhood temps degrades it over time, its too bad the body itself isnt made from metal with a tight fitting flexible insert where it connects to the carb linkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor