MALIBU Possible wiper motor failure

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Sorry if I missed anything up front, I am at work and haven't had the ability to look at anything on the car yet. Anyway, on the way to work today I turned on the wipers and nothing moved. didn't see the voltmeter drop like the motor was trying to run and was jammed, but I did hear the speaker crack when I pushed in the switch for the pump. So the best I can tell I have power to the switch. From what I remember and its been since forever, the center of 3 terminal on the motor should have 12 volts to it. And then the switch grounds to either the right or left side. I don't remember which is low or high side. Does this sound correct? So if I check the motor, I should be able to ground the left and right terminal and the motor should run.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Check the fuse first. Then power to motor and if none check power to relay.

Normally you check the source first, but in this case, if you check load first... If you have power and no movement, then you are sure you need motor or circuit card if it has one. If you have no power them you need to verify power from fuse, then switch, relay, wire harness, connection points, circuit card, etc...

Motors are fairly straight forward R&R once any of the other stuff is moved out of the way or disconnected.

As far as any further diagnostics..., need; year, make, model, etc...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Check the fuse first. Then power to motor and if none check power to relay.

Normally you check the source first, but in this case, if you check load first... If you have power and no movement, then you are sure you need motor or circuit card if it has one. If you have no power them you need to verify power from fuse, then switch, relay, wire harness, connection points, circuit card, etc...

Motors are fairly straight forward R&R once any of the other stuff is moved out of the way or disconnected.

As far as any further diagnostics..., need; year, make, model, etc...
Title flags it as Malibu, which limits the style to before the electronic pulse board.

To the OP:

Over the winter I posted page by page on the forum the GM dealership troubleshooting/servicing guide for the earlier car style motor. Another forum member downloaded the images and made them into a pdf document.

It'll have various circuits, diagrams, so on so forth. Give it a look-see. Should be in the resources section.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Thanks Guys. Yes it is just a 2 speed motor. And it does have power. I could tell when I could hear the radio pop when I pushed the pump squirter. That afternoon when the car had sat all day and it was warmer, with no headlights on or anything else the wipers worked normally. I have not driven the car since then, but it was working when parked. SO I think either I have a failing motor that doesn't like anything less than 14 volts or a bad connection. Once I get all the chevelle parts off the malibu I will take the cover off and try it again, but at least I know it SORT OF works.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor