Post pics of your dual exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
hurst1979olds said:
How do you like the dumps? I have a pypes 2.5 system with their Race Pro mufflers. I my exhaust running over the axle and behind the rear tire. But its starting to discolor my chrome on the bottom of the car and the rear bumpper. I plan on switching to dumps like yours. How the exhaust smell in the car? I drive a hour to work and sit in stop and go for alittle, I wouldnt want any fumes getting in. What hanger are you using and is it bolted to the stainless exhaust clamp.

That's why I went with dumps, that and it's cheaper. I honestly haven't driven it since I put the exhaust on. I've got it garaged and am working on it steady over the winter. Make sure you angle the dumps about 45 degrees for the fumes to shoot out towards the side and you should be okay. The hanger is the one that came with the Pypes kit. I enlarged the hole in the hanger with a step down bit so the rubber gromet would fit and it's connected to the muffler with a U-clamp. I used a band clamp to connect the turndown pipe to the muffler.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
2 1/2 aluminized exhaust, summit racing turbo mufflers, old set of headers (hedman or dynomax black jacks). I have the tailpipes coming out the side right behind the tires. I wish I would have gotten an H pipe installed. My exhaust, with the headers and mufflers included cost roughly $400.
6398273149_d2771b1d4d_z.jpg

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
Bar50 said:
I dig the close up of the 12 bolt and the factory style exhaust tip cuts!

I was thinking about an X or H pipe, but, I was thinking I would want some aft joints in it so I could remove the front section for R&R of the transmission. I know from building drag race transmissions that cars with big exhaust and an H or X made getting the crossmember out a challenge.

Plus, I see that nasty old scattershield hanging down, so, you know!

Big block, four speed, 12 bolt, lower control arm braces, um-hmm!....I got you, by the way, is that an 82-83 Camaro/Firebird scattershield? What clutch linkage did you use?

Let's see some pics of the Malibu!

The bellhousing is an old one...my dad used it on his 39 chevy business coupe for a while but then when to a Th400. The bellhousing has to be over 35yrs old. I took it to the shop and glassbeaded it and then painted it. I wasn't sure if I should paint it gray to hide it or repaint it red. Obviously I went with the red. It's one of the few things that doesn't appear factory on the car, but it's a safety feature. The clutch linkage I bought new and I bought the linkage that matched up to the transmission. It is a 1968 Chevelle transmission so that is what linkage I bought. I hope this helps ya.

LIVE4RDO

Apprentice
Jul 14, 2010
Staten Island, New York
As per my wife's, kids' and neighbors' request switched from this:

photo-51.jpg

TO THIS

photo-53.jpg

photo-62.jpg

photo-64.jpg

photo-54.jpg

photo-55.jpg

2.5" with 50 series Flowmasters. Much more civil.

zuma83

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
chicago
LIVE4RDO said:
As per my wife's, kids' and neighbors' request switched from this:

photo-51.jpg

TO THIS

photo-53.jpg

photo-62.jpg

photo-64.jpg

photo-54.jpg

photo-55.jpg

2.5" with 50 series Flowmasters. Much more civil.

DO YOU have a build thred. your car looks very clean

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
moose said:
hurst1979olds said:
How do you like the dumps? I have a pypes 2.5 system with their Race Pro mufflers. I my exhaust running over the axle and behind the rear tire. But its starting to discolor my chrome on the bottom of the car and the rear bumpper. I plan on switching to dumps like yours. How the exhaust smell in the car? I drive a hour to work and sit in stop and go for alittle, I wouldnt want any fumes getting in. What hanger are you using and is it bolted to the stainless exhaust clamp.

That's why I went with dumps, that and it's cheaper. I honestly haven't driven it since I put the exhaust on. I've got it garaged and am working on it steady over the winter. Make sure you angle the dumps about 45 degrees for the fumes to shoot out towards the side and you should be okay. The hanger is the one that came with the Pypes kit. I enlarged the hole in the hanger with a step down bit so the rubber gromet would fit and it's connected to the muffler with a U-clamp. I used a band clamp to connect the turndown pipe to the muffler.

Hey Hurst, not sure if this matters half a year later. Once I started driving my car, not only was it louder that I expected inside, I did experience some exhaust fume issues. I fixed this when I stripped my interior. I used fatmat to coat my entire floor and roof. Noticeably less loud. Also used some gasket maker on the seat and seatbelt bolts. Then I covered my trunk in fat mat, covering up the drain hole where the spare goes. I used an aircraft adhesive (JB Weld would work also) to plug the rectangle drain holes just behind the wheel well on the bottom of the rear quarter panels. Then I rubber coated the inside and out. I now have NO issues with fumes. I have idled my car in the garage (door open of course) for at least five minutes, opened up the trunk and smell nothing but rubber and carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor