Power Antenna replacement - How to

DAABULL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2020
Yeah I have big hands with a perfect black og paint job on my 84 cutlass with only 35k miles that is clean as can be so I want to sub out the work.
I've done many in the trunks of cars that are essay but the fender part and risk of my paint bothers me or I would just put in a aftermarket device. I want the mast replaced in mine and repaired. don't mind spending a little bit for it done, thanks for trying to help though!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah I have big hands with a perfect black og paint job on my 84 cutlass with only 35k miles that is clean as can be so I want to sub out the work.
That could be a catch 22 though. You know whoever else works on it doesn't have to live with it, so if they're not as careful as you would be.... make sure you have a guy/gal mechanic you can trust.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
That could be a catch 22 though. You know whoever else works on it doesn't have to live with it, so if they're not as careful as you would be.... make sure you have a guy/gal mechanic you can trust.
I was going to make a similar comment. Nobody will care about your vehicle as much as you do. If you have the tools, the time, and the ability, you might consider doing it yourself. Your decision.

• Agree

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Could you please help me get in touch with this guy, I'm from the Cleveland area and need this done. Thanks!

Hell if this antenna guru is in the Cleveland area count me in too! I've been putting off doing mine because I just don't have to time and I find it to be a PITA!

Both of my sources came through. The guy is still in business and his technique is still a secret.

Bob Scufka
Parma Service (corner of State Road and Tuxedo Road in Parma)
216-661-6643

I've not personally had to use him. I just knew of him and my two friends (brothers) who I checked with have used him for all kinds of service work. I'm told the GM power antennas are his "thing."

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Thanks Local Hero, I'll give him a shout. 👍

DAABULL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2020
Both of my sources came through. The guy is still in business and his technique is still a secret.

Bob Scufka
216-661-6643

I've not personally had to use him. I just knew of him and my two friends (brothers) who I checked with have used him for all kinds of service work. I'm told the GM power antennas are his "thing."
Thank you I've got it now thanks again!

DAABULL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2020

Bob Scufka
216-661-6643

This guy is still in business specializes in this repair! Removed and rebuilt mine for $160! I have to buy the replacement kit which are 40-60 depending on much guts you want replaced and using the metal cable not a nylon which could still be a problem down the road. Thanks again for the help and totally recommend this guy! Definitely worth a trip if out of the way a bit. Has done he said close to a 1000 of these lol! I believe it too as do to his shop. Also has N.O.S stuff also for many GM cars!

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
This guy is still in business specializes in this repair! Removed and rebuilt mine for $160! I have to buy the replacement kit which are 40-60 depending on much guts you want replaced and using the metal cable not a nylon which could still be a problem down the road. Thanks again for the help and totally recommend this guy! Definitely worth a trip if out of the way a bit. Has done he said close to a 1000 of these lol! I believe it too as do to his shop. Also has N.O.S stuff also for many GM cars!

Glad it worked out for you. (y)

ChipD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2021
Guys... this is a great write up, but I hit a snag. I am borrowing this picture from another member who posted it, but it didn't get any replies. I have a 1984 Hurst that the antenna is broken. I followed the steps listed in the write up. But how the heck do you get the screw out that holds the antenna in place? Other that this problem, I am set to go! Help please! Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    811.7 KB · Views: 117

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor