Power locks WONT LOCK but WILL UNLOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdoza88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
I have a 84 cutlass supreme and my power locks will only unlock but wont lock. I have all new switches and checked all wires and connections. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like the relay is defective...

PowerDoorLock.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would also check the contacts on the switch itself many times they are corroded and just need a little cleaning to function properly.

Bdoza88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
I just checked switches and all connections are fine. So its probably the relay I removed and now cant find anywhere that sells it. I checked autozone, discount auto, napa, and the gm dealership and nobody has it. Anybody know where I could find one for sale or how I could wire up to a different 5 pin relay?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You said you "checked the switches" did you take the back cover off the switches and check the copper contacts?

Bdoza88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
I found the relay on ebay for $130. that's a little more than I want to spend on a relay. does anyone know how to wire up a new 5 pin relay? they have them at autozone for $15

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Bdoza88 said:
I found the relay on ebay for $130. that's a little more than I want to spend on a relay. does anyone know how to wire up a new 5 pin relay? they have them at autozone for $15
Check with your local car stereo shop. If they do alarms, you can convert to a conventional Bosch 5 pin set up. There is a dual socket available to eliminate the funky factory one.

To wire up just the lock side on a 5 pin Bosch style:
86= Lt. blue lock wire from switch
85= ground
87= 12v
87a= ground
30= lt. blue to actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor