Power Rear Vent Wing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 78 Malibu wagon has the switch on the drivers door panel in front of arm rest. Front windows have additional switches near top of panel. I have to work on drivers side. Not opening with switches. I'll take pics...

Thanks Jeff,

That is so freakin kool! I knew I had to have the power vents after I saw a set in a wagon several years ago. Until you provided those photos, I had never seen the switch. My guess is that one switch moves the glass out and the other switch moves it back in. I'd be really surprised if each side could be controlled separately but then what the heck do I know. For certain someone on this site has had one in the past and can set me straight.

Pretty sure the switches in the rear doors are for the power locks but I may be wrong about that too. The reason I say that is I've looked at several door panels and a lot of them have those switches. The switch on the armrest, now that's a keeper.

Thanks again!

P.S. If anyone has one of those vent switches they can't stand any more, please let me know. I’ll continue to hunt one down. At least now, I know what the heck I’m looking for. ...

Attachments

• G-Body Power Vent Switch.jpg
    G-Body Power Vent Switch.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • G-Body Vent Switch Orientation .jpg
    G-Body Vent Switch Orientation .jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,095
The vent switches are one for each side...towards driver opens them, pushing outward closes them (backwards, seems to me)

Rear door switches are for vent windows, the power locks have no rear switch (just like today's cars).

I'll look, I used to have a few spare switches, but much of the G body stuff didn't make the cut last cleanout.

Longroof79 said:
Blake,
I guess the actual power vent mechanisms can't be interchanged with wagon vents... :?: I've never seen or held them in my hands.

Jack, I believe the motors/drive cables interchange...seems to me like I used a sedan motor/drive on the old blue wagon when one of the vent motors died.

Well there ya go. I learn something new every day. I appreciate all the responses and am interested in switches, the intermediate harness from the switch to the motor and the like.

Thanks again. … 😳

Ribbedroof said:
Longroof79 said:
Blake,
I guess the actual power vent mechanisms can't be interchanged with wagon vents... :?: I've never seen or held them in my hands.

Jack, I believe the motors/drive cables interchange...seems to me like I used a sedan motor/drive on the old blue wagon when one of the vent motors died.
Thanks Brian,
Would it be easy enough to convert manual (vent) windows to power with the necessary parts? I was always curious about whether sedan power vent parts could be utilized on a wagon.
Had I known sooner. I would have probably collected all the parts over the years.
And again, you learn something new everyday. :wink:

You'd have to do something about the latches.
Power vents have no latches...
You'd need to swap the glass to get rid of them completely, or get creative with plugging the hole or holding the latch open.

Thanks for pointing that out, Blake.
I didn't even think of that. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor