Power Steering Cap - P/N 7834183

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
I've seen some power steering caps (P/N 7834183) with a round rubber sleeve on them (see attached picture). Maybe to prevent fluid from splashing on the lid?
I've seen others (including the one on my car that do not have this sleeve.

Should the sleeve be on the cap?

Attachments

• 71Kw7ZPKbvL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    71Kw7ZPKbvL._AC_SX355_.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 91

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've seen the OTC GM parts both ways. And some with GRAY caps with the sleeve. I do believe it was put there by some manufacturers (GM farmed out parts manufacturing to their specs) to do exactly what you said. To keep the upper gasket from getting directly splashed by fluid all the time. They probably had many complaints of seepage leaking after the production runs and this may have been their engineering fix.

My original does not have this splash shield thing on the 84, 85, or 87, so I imagine it's only on some of the replacement GM parts. I got a couple of them NOS that do not have the shield.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor