Prepping for paint job and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I've done almost all the work on my Cutlass and would like to have a hand in the paint job as well. That being said, I'm considering all my options. Thanks, guys!

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I used those rigid scotch brite disks on a grinder and drill. Granted the old paint was nearly chaulk. Went through 3 on the hood.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Roger, haven't used those discs to strip a whole vehicle but probably worth a try for panel preps. Thanks.

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
CHEMICAL STRIPPER!! Saves allot of elbow grease.

I use air craft remover and a brush, staying about a half inch away from edges like door or trunk jambs. Unless you plan to strip those too.

Once the paint wrinkles, I scrape it down with a body filler spreader.

Once dry, then I DA with 80 grit.

Last edited:

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
CHEMICAL STRIPPER!! Saves allot of elbow grease.
I use air craft remover and a brush, staying about a half inch away from edges just door or trunk jambs. Unless you plan to strip those too.
Once the paint wrinkles, I scrape it down with a body filler spreader.
Once dry, then I DA with 80 grit.
tape the panel gaps to keep the stripper out of the jambs.throw plastic sheeting on top of the stripper to keep it from drying out on you.i find it works better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor