Price to notch the rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
whatever the guy that's doing it charges you.

generally, prices vary region to region. call around and ask, or go visiting some shops in your area.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
275's may fit without mini-tubbing the car. I have 245's out back and they do not rub, and there is at least another 3 centimeters of space to work with (the 275 refers to the width in millimeters, so it converts to 27.5 cm.). It is all going to depend on a number of things though, as fitment can be affected by :

How the body sits on the frame. I had to shift mine to center it.

Tire height

Sidewall height. More sidewall flexes more and allows the tire to move around.

Rear suspension condition. If the bushings are shot, the rear axle will squirm around a bit and let the body shift back and forth over the axle.

Tire brand. Not all tires of the same size are the same width or height. It varies by manufacturer and tire model. Case in point: Goodyear Eagle GSC's are wider than BFG Radial T/A's. I ran into this on my Cutlass on the front as the BFG's would not rub, but the GSC's would.

Wheel backspacing. This is critical as you need the tire to be placed in such a way that it is centered in the wheel well. You alter this by altering the wheel's relationship to the axle mounting face.

Another thing you can do is notch and roll the fender lip. I did this on the front of my Cutlass to deal with wide tire fitment issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor