Proforged tie rods and steering replacement package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I posted a thread on this a while ago. Some people claim it's fine; my tierod boots kept splitting and falling off. I suspect this is because the taper seated too far up in the knuckle. So, I bought Blazer tie rod ends and had them rethreaded to match the G. The boots have been fine since.

Reactions: 2 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
I posted a thread on this a while ago. Some people claim it's fine; my tierod boots kept splitting and falling off. I suspect this is because the taper seated too far up in the knuckle. So, I bought Blazer tie rod ends and had them rethreaded to match the G. The boots have been fine since.

interesting, ill have to stay posted.

cfisher

n00b
Aug 28, 2018
I have the full Pro forged center link and tie rod set up on my 85 Monte Carlo. I am running a full UMI suspension kit front and rear and when I bought the kit and asked, the owner of UMI recommended Proforged.

Reactions: 1 user

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016

What do you mean re-threaded? I just ordered the Pro-forged 1" upper and lower ball joints, and 2 speedway right side 8" arms, and I was looking at the pro-forged steering kit, but I have blazer Zq8 spindles. If I have to change the tie rod ends to blazer, I guess I have to order the kit in components. Do I have to take the blazer rod ends to a machine shop?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The Blazer and G outer tie rod ends are different thread sizes where they meet the adjuster sleeve. I can now confirm that the Blazer rethread experiment was a failure as well; the tie rod boots are gone on those now, too. Also, a cautionary note: DON'T DO IT. My driver's side outer tie rod bent. I suppose that was from the rethreading I had done.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016
The Blazer and G outer tie rod ends are different thread sizes where they meet the adjuster sleeve. I can now confirm that the Blazer rethread experiment was a failure as well; the tie rod boots are gone on those now, too. Also, a cautionary note: DON'T DO IT. My driver's side outer tie rod bent. I suppose that was from the rethreading I had done.
Thanks for the update. What do you think a possible solution could be? I have seen polyeurethane tie rod boots, I think energy suspension and Prothane both make them. Do you think a tougher boot would stand up to the shearing forces that are apparently being placed on it?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for the update. What do you think a possible solution could be? I have seen polyeurethane tie rod boots, I think energy suspension and Prothane both make them. Do you think a tougher boot would stand up to the shearing forces that are apparently being placed on it?
FIIK. I'm so frustrated with the situation, it's ridiculous. Maybe I got a bum set of Belltech spindles? I have a new set of Moogs in the cabinet for when I save up enough to do the taller lower ball joints and change tires, so they're going in next.

Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
I'll be following this for info on about what to get and what to stay away from..!!

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I replaced my 40 year old steering with ProForged based on the reviews as well. I also replaced my steering box with the 442 box. As for the ProForge they looked pretty well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor