PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Love to see the Melling pump and pickup were Made in the USA!
Me too!! I'm trying very hard to keep China off/out of this car. Tires...:(. Stereo & speakers...🤷‍♂️

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Me too!! I'm trying very hard to keep China off/out of this car. Tires...:(. Stereo & speakers...🤷‍♂️
It's like trying to push back the ocean sometimes. Hopefully that gets better.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I think there’s currently 3 companies that produce amplifiers in the USA. I wish I was joking.

The best you’re going to get these days is an American engineered product, like the amps Hifonics produces. Those seem to be pretty darn good for the price point. Speakers seem to be a total crapshoot, unless it’s something like JL Audio.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So it's been over (2) months since I updated this thread. I have been lazy with working on this car. I was also saving money for some bigger ticket items ( short block, heads, and fuel injection ). You guys know how much that sh*t costs. So most of my free time has been selling stuff and researching parts, and stashing money. Most of you guys who follow this build know that I also have acquired another project car. I promise to not let that distract me too much from this build. Since Covid has put a lock on most of the car events the last several months, I allowed myself to make an adjustment on my time frame in finishing this build. I want to drive this "cruiser" to the 2021 Oldsmobile Club of America - Gulf Coast Chapter car show, The 2021 Oldsmobile Nationals, and the 25th anniversary of Cruisin' the Coast 2021. NOT as a show car, but as a participant with a car you don't see very often - for conversation and camaraderie. Here's what I have lately.

Grand Prix stainless pedal covers.
IMG_1802.JPG

New flywheel.
IMG_1784.JPG

I found a set of NOS discontinued TRW #L2451F forged pistons. Seller wanted $300, which is a pretty good deal. I watched the FB post for 10 days, thinking they would sell every day. On the 11th day, I offered $200, and he said yes. They were in the original box, but it was in sad shape, so I asked him to rebox before shipping.
IMG_1816.JPG

Black anodized aluminum fuel pump block off plate, and distributor hold down.
IMG_1855.JPG

New stamped steel valve covers. I will have these powder coated along with some serpentine brackets, and an air cleaner ( once I figure out which one fits with my RPM intake manifold ). I bought these factory reproduction Oldsmobile valve cover stickers to go with them. It's a clean, simple look. I like it. There are not many choices for aftermarket valve covers for Olds engines. Chrome or stainless bolts & breathers should dress them up a bit more.

IMG_1844.JPG

I got the Comp Cams valvetrain kit recommended by Jim Lapikas @ J&S Machine.

IMG_1857.JPG

For you Olds guys that know of him, he has basically retired, shut down his business and moved to Florida. I was lucky to get him to do my heads, as he is pretty selective in the jobs he does now. My stage 1 64cc #4 Olds 330 heads will be finished next week. They have been pressure checked, cleaned, crossovers filled, hardened seats, new guides, large Edelbrock valves, .500 lift valve springs, and stage 1 port work. $1200, and he supplied the cores. I will sell my #5 heads for $200 to offset the cost.

Holley Sniper Stealth fuel injection master kit. This kit comes with everything needed to convert to fuel injection with just a 4 wire hookup.

IMG_1960.JPG

The serpentine adapter brackets from Larry Lorton. I sent him my Mustang 5.0L crank pulley, and he redrilled the correct Olds pattern to bolt onto my crankshaft.
IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

That's it for now... still waiting on my 403 block to be checked.

Attachments

• IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice collection of parts you’ve amassed there James, very cool! I especially like the new valve covers and rocket decals, I’ve never seen those before. 👍🏻
The fuel injection and serpentine systems are nice touches too, should really enhance the driving experience. I’m looking forward to seeing this one come together, it’ll truly be something to behold once you’re done.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Nice progress! Lack of updates is ok when you come back with a big update!

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Spend that money!!! Hell yeah!

It should run well and look good at the same time. Nothing too radical and should have excellent street manners with some pop in that pedal. (y)(y)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Interesting find on the Speedpro forged pistons. Pretty sure those are super heavy with the old school ring pack but strong. Do not forget to tell the machine shop they need a minimum of .004 for clearance or scuffing and overheating will occur. Last thing you want is a 403 running hotter, a super piss off on a fresh build but common with those pistons. What cam did you end up choosing? I will not go too small on my build, Olds iron heads, they like a lot of timing part throttle to retain part throttle response. Glad to see progress, good choice on the iron head builder, at least the center exhaust guides will not be too tight, a common problem from run of the mill shops leading to a stuck exhaust valve. I also like the Rocket Emblems, what material are they, a puffy sticker, hard plastic or metal?

Last edited:
  • Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Nice selection of parts James. That's going to be a very cool car. Thanks for the update. I really enjoy watching this build.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor