PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Nice collection of parts you’ve amassed there James, very cool! I especially like the new valve covers and rocket decals, I’ve never seen those before. 👍🏻
The fuel injection and serpentine systems are nice touches too, should really enhance the driving experience. I’m looking forward to seeing this one come together, it’ll truly be something to behold once you’re done.
Thanks Donovan. I hope to have one of the nicest Aeros on the forum. I want to drive this car, so yes, fuel injection and serpentine will enhance the driving experience.
Nice progress! Lack of updates is ok when you come back with a big update!
Thanks Jake, I had been lazy with the updates. It took longer to find all the pics on my computer than it did to write the update, LOL.

Spend that money!!! Hell yeah!

It should run well and look good at the same time. Nothing too radical and should have excellent street manners with some pop in that pedal. (y)(y)
I agree Mike, just enough to get out of it's own way, and be reliable at the same time.
Interesting find on the Speedpro forged pistons. Pretty sure those are super heavy with the old school ring pack but strong. Do not forget to tell the machine shop they need a minimum of .004 for clearance or scuffing and overheating will occur. Last thing you want is a 403 running hotter, a super piss off on a fresh build but common with those pistons. What cam did you end up choosing? I will not go too small on my build, Olds iron heads, they like a lot of timing part throttle to retain part throttle response. Glad to see progress, good choice on the iron head builder, at least the center exhaust guides will not be too tight, a common problem from run of the mill shops leading to a stuck exhaust valve. I also like the Rocket Emblems, what material are they, a puffy sticker, hard plastic or metal?
Christian, they weigh 673 grams, which seems to be pretty common for that type of piston. Badger, Federal Mogul, Venolia, and TRW all come in at 673. Arias came in at 608, but finding any of these pistons is almost unobtanium... You are correct with .004 as a minumum piston skirt - to- bore clearance. Travato's book has been very helpful. I almost stepped up on the cam, but Jim Lapikas said to go ahead and run the one I already have, as it should make good low end torque, and that's exactly what I want. So Edelbrock Performer Plus 204/214 it is... The Olds Rocket valve cover stickers are a heavy, thick mm vinyl, that were factory on the 61-63 Olds F85 engines.
Nice selection of parts James. That's going to be a very cool car. Thanks for the update. I really enjoy watching this build.
Thanks Jared. I will get back on it real soon. As you know ( but others may not ) the heat index was 113 here yesterday. Even with a large shop fan, it's like an oven in there. Thanks for watching... you can drive it when I'm done :giggle:
I must keep missing the pic with the Camaro wheels on it....
HaHa. Good memory Bruce. The car is in 100 pieces right now, and I only had (1) pic, when I pre-fitted the wheels. They look good in my opinion, and with new center caps w/ Oldsmobile Rocket logos, I think they compliment the build pretty well. With that said, I have a few sets of wheels ranging from 15-20", so I have options. I will run a "Poll" on the forum when the time comes.

Thanks to all of you who follow this build, and kind comments you post. I say it all the time... you guys are the best!!

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I remember reading about a particular 455 combo that was undercammed and ran like dogcrap. Untunable. The problem was excess cylinder pressure due to the way the heads flowed. They ended up running a 230ish cam on that setup and it came alive. I would have thought that that was a bit much cam for something that didn't breathe but something to consider for this build too as I don't recall the 403 being the freest flowing head out there.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I almost stepped up on the cam, but Jim Lapikas said to go ahead and run the one I already have, as it should make good low end torque, and that's exactly what I want. So Edelbrock Performer Plus 204/214 it is...

I don't know what your compression is, nor am I a 403 expert, but that is not much cam on that many cubes IMHO. For what you have into this, I'd call Chris Straub or Mike Jones and have them grind you one. It'll be an extra $40-80 for a custom grind, and do exactly what you want it to.

I'm not familiar with Jim Lapikas, is he local to you? No matter, same as everyone else, love to see this completed!!! Good luck

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Jim is a long time Olds guy; I've hung out with him at Norwalk a few times. I can't say I would take his cam recommendation, but the head work should be good. Didn't you get a Performer cam? Should be fine, until the roller upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's an old 215 with the rocket decals. My very first car ever, a 63 Cutlass, had this same engine in it. The covers would look great too, too bad they won't fit the "modern" Olds V8. :( Had a friend with a 62 Jetfire many moons ago, but his valve covers were different for some reason.

But whatever, still will look cool!

1962-oldsmobile-cutlass-f-85-american-cars-for-sale-2016-07-17-5-1024x682-1024x682.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
As you know ( but others may not ) the heat index was 113 here yesterday. Even with a large shop fan, it's like an oven in there.
Yeah it really sucks out there right now. To our friends up north, this is our winter. We're just surviving and waiting for it to get better. Live report....
Screenshot_20200829-142126_The Weather Channel.jpg

Screenshot_20200829-142512_The Weather Channel.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I remember reading about a particular 455 combo that was undercammed and ran like dogcrap. Untunable. The problem was excess cylinder pressure due to the way the heads flowed. They ended up running a 230ish cam on that setup and it came alive. I would have thought that that was a bit much cam for something that didn't breathe but something to consider for this build too as I don't recall the 403 being the freest flowing head out there.
I don't know what your compression is, nor am I a 403 expert, but that is not much cam on that many cubes IMHO. For what you have into this, I'd call Chris Straub or Mike Jones and have them grind you one. It'll be an extra $40-80 for a custom grind, and do exactly what you want it to.

I'm not familiar with Jim Lapikas, is he local to you? No matter, same as everyone else, love to see this completed!!! Good luck
Jim is a long time Olds guy; I've hung out with him at Norwalk a few times. I can't say I would take his cam recommendation, but the head work should be good. Didn't you get a Performer cam? Should be fine, until the roller upgrade.
The cam is an Edelbrock Performer Plus #3712. Specs are... Lift = .449 / .473 - Duration = 280 / 290 - Duration @ .050 = 204 / 214 - Power range = idle - 5500rpm

From Edelbrocks website -

Edelbrock Part # 3712 Performer-Plus camshaft is designed for small-block Oldsmobile 350-403 V-8 applications. This Edelbrock cam kit produced 330 ft-lbs. of torque when used with #3711 intake and stock iron cylinder heads on a 350 engine. The camshaft will produce optimum torque from the low-end to the mid-range, Performer-Plus camshafts match with Performer manifolds for vehicles operating from off-idle to 5500 rpm. This Performer-Plus is a smooth idling cam for daily drivers, trucks, vans, RVs and 4x4s. You can expect a major improvement in throttle response and torque. All camshafts include flat tappet lifters, assembly lube and instructions.Camshaft Specifications: • Duration @ .050 Intake: 204 degrees • Duration @ .050 Exhaust: 214 degrees • Lift @ Valve Intake: .449” • Lift @ Valve Exhaust: .473” • Lobe Separation: 114 Degrees • Intake Centerline: 106 Degrees • Idle Vacuum @ 1000 RPM’s: 16”

This is no race car. I have other cars for more spirited driving. I want this car to start right up, idle smoothly, produce good vacuum, and not require a lot of maintenance. Something even my wife can drive to cruise nights, while I drive the GN. I will continue to look at cams, but I already have this one. Thanks for everyone's input. I do value it.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had that cam in my 289 and it was done by 5000. Low end was a bit soft, but picked up a lot when I put a 5.0 Explorer intake on and converted to EFI. I should have mentioned that as well. Already having it makes it tempting, but I'd be inclined to something with more duration with that many cubes. My dad's 454 in the Monte has a 212/218 cam like my dually. They run like stock and run out of breath like stock too.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Surprised those pistons are that light. The 350 Speedpro are similar in weight, around 900 grams with pins and rings. As I said, my 350 with .065" quench and 9.6 to 1 pinged on 91 non ethonal with that cam. Cold plugs and a sluggish timing curve eliminated it, more or less. Of course part throttle response sucked compared to the 8 to 1 motor with the same cam. I assume 93 is available there?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor