PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah it is a little bit of a drive, I am right next to letchworth state park tho if you need an excuse for the wife haha she might start asking questions when you’re loading the car trailer tho

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
nicely optioned car.
so i grabbed my 78 olds dealer sales book. the FE2 rallye suspension consists of "higher rate front and rear springs, firm ride shock absorbers, special steering ratio, larger front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, 6 inch wide wheels"

start a new thread in the "for sale" section. this would sell

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, nice score on the two 403's, somehow missed this. Those 4A suck *ss on the exhaust side, they need a bigger valve and port work. I would do a compression test on the complete 403, you might be nicely surprised. A set of early 330 or 350 heads, #1 through 7a, will bump compression to around 9 to 1 with the stock pistons. KB hyper or small dish forged pistons are needed to get over 8 to 1 without a lot of milling on your 4A, #8 350 heads, which are better than your 4A heads or any of the BBO iron or aluminum heads. Also consider the SBO Thornton shorty headers over the manifold's, there has been fitment issues with the manifold's and many question if any flow is gained out of box. Also upgrade the pathetic stock cam. Awesome progress.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
nicely optioned car.
so i grabbed my 78 olds dealer sales book. the FE2 rallye suspension consists of "higher rate front and rear springs, firm ride shock absorbers, special steering ratio, larger front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer bar, 6 inch wide wheels"

start a new thread in the "for sale" section. this would sell
Thanks for help Oldsmobile joe!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Thanks for help Oldsmobile joe!
your welcome. when that car was new, it was the most "442 like" car without the 442 graphics package. gauges, rally wheels, sport suspension and buckets. the way i wanted my dad to order his back then. he opted for a 4 door. oh well.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
your welcome. when that car was new, it was the most "442 like" car without the 442 graphics package. gauges, rally wheels, sport suspension and buckets. the way i wanted my dad to order his back then. he opted for a 4 door. oh well.
holy sh*t this things more rare then I thought, thinking about the rarity of this car when my friend first bought it makes my stomach turn now it was untouched besides the interior being a little shotty with very low miles, a little while after he bought it the rear end locked up on him while moving along pretty well and it messed the original transmission up in it my brother and him took it to a lot of transmission shops and most of them scratched their heads and said “well thanks for showing it to me” so he opted to buy a 350 rocket and a th350 for it, a couple weeks after it was installed (if that) he tried drifting it into my mother’s driveway and hit a tree resulting in the front end damage which is why I still lack a front fender for it, after that it sat for years and I’ve been a gbody el Camino fan for a while and had a project 84 el Camino and he was hurting for cash so I bought it from him for parts I used the dash, the steering column, the radiator which wasn’t original he had an after market dual exhaust cross member which I also used and I think that was pretty much it, after doing this I started looking into the car more and realized it was only produced for 2 years and then I found all of the original paper work. I kick myself in the *ss every day for not parting with the el Camino and building this but I’ve got too much into the Camino and not enough funds and time to give the salon the Justice it deserves I still feel I should hang onto it and give it the treatment it deserves in the future but money is tight and I want her to go to a good home

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Wow, nice score on the two 403's, somehow missed this. Those 4A suck *ss on the exhaust side, they need a bigger valve and port work. I would do a compression test on the complete 403, you might be nicely surprised. A set of early 330 or 350 heads, #1 through 7a, will bump compression to around 9 to 1 with the stock pistons. KB hyper or small dish forged pistons are needed to get over 8 to 1 without a lot of milling on your 4A, #8 350 heads, which are better than your 4A heads or any of the BBO iron or aluminum heads. Also consider the SBO Thornton shorty headers over the manifold's, there has been fitment issues with the manifold's and many question if any flow is gained out of box. Also upgrade the pathetic stock cam. Awesome progress.
Thank you for the props, and your knowledge/experience. I just looked at the Thornton headers, and that is the way I will go for sure. I'm aware of the 350 head swap, for more compression/power. I also read the factory specs on the cam... yep it's a wimp! Just need to research 403 recipes, before I make a cam decision. But a stock style rebuild, cam, headers, dual exhaust, intake, carb is what I'm planning as of now.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you’re going to be car hunting in NY anytime soon or if anyone else is interested I’m going to be selling this beaut soon it’s not in this condition any more it is still has absolutely no rot only a small amount of surface rust in a couple places only body panel missing is one of the front fenders interior needs re done and re wired needs a radiator and some other odds and ends has a 350 rocket and th350 ran and drove really well before parked also have original engine and trans can’t remember exactly what they were but it was the smallest v8 they made with a rare 5 speed manual transmission came with a lot of extras from the dealer have all original paper work has a locker and 3.73s had less then 40k original miles when parked. I’m not looking for a million dollars either just want her to have a good home would let her go for 1,500 if anyone’s interested can get more pics upon request
:hijack:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor