BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Don't get crazy tuning it until you get it to 175+.

Do you know how to adjust the closed loop to correct the rich/lean conditions?

Have you been able to get a laptop hooked to it?
No, and no. It's literally only run for a total of 2 minutes probably. I need to get the exhaust hooked up so the O2 sensor doesn't get false readings.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I wouldn't run it without the o2, for sure. But also without the computer is a crap shoot without adjusting the closed loop and learn (O2 feedback) in the base tune imo.

Set both the closed loop and learn to 50% in al areas for both add and cut. from there it will run for 5 minutes and be tuned. But you definitely need the o2 sensor reading accurately for that.

Of course you can turn off all o2 sensor control and just tune the base tables as well - Megasquirt style lol.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So I had ordered a 2lb spool of .030 stainless wire for my mig welder from Amazon. Realized once I took it out od the package, it was .023 instead. I double checked my order, I had ordered .030. Installed it and tried welding on Thursday and I wanted to jump off a cliff. Had nothing but issues. Kept wadding up after the drive wheel. No matter what I did, same thing happened got a few welds in here and there, ended leaving the garage frustrated.
I stopped at our local welding supply house on Friday and picked up a roll of .030 from them. Birthday was yesterday so no time to work on it. Today was going to be the day. Started working on it and was pulled in ten other directions... Running to the dump, picking up prescriptions for my parents, dealing with the wife after she ran over a tree with the mower. Ugh. Finally got back to it around 3pm. Just made it back into the house.
Exhaust is reconnected. Not completely happy with it but it's quiet and it now has two v band clamps to make the x pipe section easily removable. Will make removing the transmission much easier if I ever need to.
It's so much quieter, which I don't mind, but the engine sounds tame. Thinking I should've gone with a bigger cam. 😕 oh well.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can tune a lumpy idle into it if you want. It's pretty easy (ancient Chinese secret). What are you idling at? And it didn't sound like the TB is making any crazy hissing sounds?

Congrats man - well done!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can tune a lumpy idle into it if you want. It's pretty easy (ancient Chinese secret). What are you idling at? And it didn't sound like the TB is making any crazy hissing sounds?

Congrats man - well done!!!
800, no abnormal noises from the t-body. I do however have one that was present on first startup yesterday. Almost sounded like a whining p/s pump. But it wasn't. Very hard to pinpoint the source but it wasn't a quiet noise. Very loud... slowly went away over 30 seconds or so. Kinda concerned about it. Going to try again today and see if it's only on cold start ups or if it's just gone. Need to bleed the clutch and then I can drive it. Well, couple of minor things to do first. Secure O2 sensor wiring, hook up the brake light switch, etc should take too long. If I can get the clutch bled...

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
800, no abnormal noises from the t-body. I do however have one that was present on first startup yesterday. Almost sounded like a whining p/s pump. But it wasn't. Very hard to pinpoint the source but it wasn't a quiet noise. Very loud... slowly went away over 30 seconds or so. Kinda concerned about it. Going to try again today and see if it's only on cold start ups ot if it's just gone. Need to bleed the clutch and then I can drive it. We'll, couple of minor things to do first. Secure O2 sensor wiring, hook up the brake light switch, etc should take too long. If I can get the clutch bled...
I'm going to say it was the throttle body. IAC may take a bit to catch up and it'll go away. LOUD it is

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm going to say it was the throttle body. IAC may take a bit to catch up and it'll go away. LOUD it is
Doesn't sound like that's where it's from though. Almost sounds like oil pump area which is VERY odd.

Sorry for the shaky video. This was this morning.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I had same thing and thought it was power steering pump
It goes away at around 1200 rpms

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My alternator is quite noisy for 15-60 seconds in cold startup after sitting for more than 1/2 a week. If I free rev it to 2500 or so when it’s doing it you’d swear it’s going to come apart. Then the noise disappears.

I wouldn’t get too wound up over it. It could be a cold belt, IAC as Tony mentioned, water pump, whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It's REALLY loud though. One of those noises that just doesn't sound right. So weird that it goes away though and only happens on cold starts. I think I'll take the belt off and try it to at least eliminate the accessories.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor