BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So some of you may remember that I bought "new" doors for the car. The time has come to install them.
I really wasn't looking forward to this. I'm not a body man. I can do it, but I hate every minute of it. Just don't have the patience for it.
I took the new doors to a friend and he did the initial body work to them, which was very minimal. Basically removed all existing paint, primed the entire door, and painted the inside jamb area.
Now it's my turn to get them hung and aligned properly. I've been dragging my feet on it because I was trying to take a hammer to them 🤣 My patience has definitely been tested.
But as of this morning, I finished aligning the drivers door and I'm happy with how it came out! My buddy stopped by yesterday and helped for a few hours as well.

20240331_131959.jpg

20240331_131947.jpg

20240331_114302.jpg

Passenger side door I just picked up from him.

20240331_151654.jpg

And a couple of pics of it sitting on the new wheels and tires 😁

20240331_135335.jpg

20240331_114250.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Thanks guys! Was hoping to just bolt it on and align it, but that would've been too easy 🤣 Bolted it on fine, but spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 hours actually aligning it, and then the drivers fender. I'm positive someone that does it for a living could've accomplished it much quicker than I did. I'm just glad both the door, and I made it thru the process LMAO
Unfortunately I still have to install EVERYTHING inside the door, and get all of that adjusted correctly as well.
Tell me again why I work on old cars?

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks guys! Was hoping to just bolt it on and align it, but that would've been too easy 🤣 Bolted it on fine, but spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 hours actually aligning it, and then the drivers fender. I'm positive someone that does it for a living could've accomplished it much quicker than I did. I'm just glad both the door, and I made it thru the process LMAO
Unfortunately I still have to install EVERYTHING inside the door, and get all of that adjusted correctly as well.
Tell me again why I work on old cars?
I’m convinced that body panel alignment is an art form. All of my memories of getting our doors, fenders and hood aligned was such a headache. It Is nothing I look forward to. My son wanted me to put new fenders on the SS and I dreaded it (and i haven’t done it yet lol.)

It only took me a couple of years to figure to pull the hood hinges with the hood so that it goes back together perfectly.

But in the end, the time is not wasted when it works out well.

Keep the faith buddy 😉

Reactions: 3 users

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
If those doors are empty, you might want to simulate the weight of the glass and regulator by putting something of equal weight inside the door before you consider the job done. It will make a difference in the way the back of the door hangs.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well my hinges still seem to be in perfect shape. I bought all four thru GM, many years ago now. Had to come from 3 different dealerships. Hopefully that saves me. Fingers crossed

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor