BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Haven't touched the car for a couple of days, but got the last parts back from paint. Both door mirrors and the trunk lid spoiler.
My buddy was giving me a hard time about the spoiler, asking me why it was waving at me. It's fiberglass and had some waves in the mold that transferred to the spoiler. In addition, there was a semi circle that was supposed to clearance around the trunk lock, but the spoiler is no where near it. So he straightened it all out, and filled in the semi circle. So much better. You can also see what shape the paint on the trunk lid is in when comparing the freshky painted spoiler to it. Oh well, maybe next winter. I can't afford any more!

20240521_165537.jpg

20240521_165542.jpg

20240521_165551.jpg

Finally working on the car. I've been putting this off. I hate working inside the doors. Your arms always get cut up. Installed new window felt guides to help keep the window where it's supposed to be. Realized I didn't have rivets for the new A pillar window catch so that's as far as I can go on the drivers side. I'll move onto the passenger side and hopefully get to the same point tonight.

20240527_144217.jpg

20240527_144227.jpg

Cleaned the threads up on the mirror before installing it.

20240526_111334.jpg

Door glass in

20240527_150431.jpg

Passenger side is in but.... the "new" doors had regulators so I was just going to reuse them. Went to put the window crank on and realized the splines are all stripped out. So looks like the glass is coming back out so I can swap the regulator from the old door. One step forward two steps back.
20240527_165039.jpg

20240527_165239.jpg

Time for an update!
Finished reassembling the doors. Ran the wiring down to the speedo sensor on the transmission. Made a little bracket to hold my Holley screen, whipped up some brackets at work for tow hooks that I was required to have. New battery, ran a new ground cable hoping that would fix my slow crank issue. I'm sure there a few other things I'm forgetting. Here's the photo dump.

Installed rivnuts in both doors for the upper door pull handles and the lower door panels to screw into. Makes for a much cleaner, and easier install.
20240601_122055.jpg

20240601_122051.jpg

20240630_182146.jpg

20240630_182202.jpg

20240630_182236.jpg

Oh and I I had to renew my registration, so I figured I would get some plates to match my car. 🤣

20240630_182310.jpg

Now this all leads up to yesterday. I had purchased a ticket to a track day at a local car country club. It included an instructor to help me. We all think we know how to drive, until it's time to REALLY do it and you can get humbled real quick by some guy in a 100hp Miata. I didn't want to be that guy.
The track is 2 miles, with lots of elevation change and sharp, often blind corners. Here's a link for anyone curious. https://pineviewrun.com/?gclid=CjwK...m8WaDiqJvrgAQAcEHAVxWS---ySQS8KxoCEpwQAvD_BwE

rs=w_1209,cg_true.jpeg

The day was put on by SCDA. They go around to several different tracks, mainly in the northeast, and there seems to be a big following. They had a deal on the day for a novice so I jumped.

Lots learned, both about me, and the car. First thing was I had never driven it like this with a passenger. The added weight and hard corners did not agree and caused tire rub. Which I have not had since doing my suspension. So I ran home quickly in between sessions and swapped out my front tires and wheels for my old ones. The instructor thought it was from the right front. I was sure it was the right rear. While I was home I added .5" to the front ride height via the adjustable coilovers.
Got back to the track and the noise was still there, it was the right rear after all... 🤦‍♂️
Decided it wasn't bad enough to worry about and focused on my driving.
Ended up hitting 100mph on the back straight before having to get hard on the brakes for a blind, 90° corner.
I had so much fun! After getting home and doing a couple of quick checks, the rearend is not centered and closer to the right side causing my rub. Pretty sure I can readjust my upper trailing arms and center it up.
When I bought my RideTech front sway bar from the guy in NJ we've stayed in touch and he does these races with this group often. Since he and the entire group had never been to this track before, he decided to come up with his Malibu wagon. We were the hit of the race. Everyone was coming up and asking us about them both. He had MUCH more experience track driving than I, but weighed less and had about 100 more hp which helped me stick kinda close LOL
His wagon has an LS1 and a T56. Everyone was laughing at his tow hitch.
20240628_195252.jpg

20240628_195307.jpg

20240629_131409.jpg

Did I mention it poured almost the entire day and we still ran HARD?!
20240629_131822.jpg

20240629_131824.jpg

20240629_170929.jpg

20240629_170954.jpg

And for those that are really bored, you can watch a poorly filmed 22 minute video of me trying to drive and my right rear tire rubbing! LOL Sorry it's backwards, I evidently wasn't thinking.

Last edited:
Hands at 9&3 or 10&2! Sure there's plenty of other stuff, but hands are a fundamental. Try to be mindful of that on your next outing. They looked more 11&1 in the video. I do 9&3 as my wheel has spokes there and I can hook my thumbs there. I also get lazy and let go with 1 hand on the straights which is a no no, so don't do as I do do as I say.

Hands at 9&3 or 10&2! Sure there's plenty of other stuff, but hands are a fundamental. Try to be mindful of that on your next outing. They looked more 11&1 in the video. I do 9&3 as my wheel has spokes there and I can hook my thumbs there. I also get lazy and let go with 1 hand on the straights which is a no no, so don't do as I do do as I say.
Oh I have lots of bad habits to break! The instructor was harping on me too! But he did say I have great braking control, both on and off.

Oh I have lots of bad habits to break! The instructor was harping on me too! But he did say I have great braking control, both on and off.

So when's the next outing? That track looked easy on the brakes, don't be surprised if they're your first holdup at a different track. If you keep with this you'll want pads and fluid at a minimum. Then you'll start running into cooling problems, easily solved of course. But something to keep in mind. If you already have a badass radiator make sure it's fully ducted.

So when's the next outing? That track looked easy on the brakes, don't be surprised if they're your first holdup at a different track. If you keep with this you'll want pads and fluid at a minimum. Then you'll start running into cooling problems, easily solved of course. But something to keep in mind. If you already have a badass radiator make sure it's fully ducted.
Not sure when I'm going out again. Brakes were definitely getting a workout. Having a 25 minute run time will definitely put everything to a test. One issue I had was the ps started to overheat. Started getting a little whining from the pump around the 18 minute mark. Going to put a cooler on the return line and that may fix it. Engine never got over 196° so I'm hoping I won't need to mess with that. Need to adjust my rear upper control arms to center the rear end and stop the tire rub. Hopefully with 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers on the front, and 12" rear rotors that'll be enough. I can't fit anything bigger.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor