CUTLASS Project Upggrayed - With two Gs for a double dose of G body pimpin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This helps a lot. I will try to figure depth for placement in channel by searching for pictures. Thanks!!!
I'll bet the windshield studs are located in the same place as far as depth. I believe some of the windshield upper/side clips are the same as the back glass, although I can't recall 100%. May be able to measure those and get an idea. The clip thing was super weird and I don't follow the logic in some of it. Some were metal clips, some were plastic...blah blah.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I put it in build threads because I fully intend to keep updating it.
As you should have. And welcome, by the way. My comment was pointed at the clip hijack.

You car looks pretty decent from here. How is it under the hood and inside? You said you hadn't planned to mess with it much. Is that because you don't plan to keep it?

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I'll bet the windshield studs are located in the same place as far as depth. I believe some of the windshield upper/side clips are the same as the back glass, although I can't recall 100%. May be able to measure those and get an idea. The clip thing was super weird and I don't follow the logic in some of it. Some were metal clips, some were plastic...blah blah.
GM's obsessions with strange clips for trim has always annoyed me. I'm going to have to dig through all the stuff I have and see if the right clips were included. When the PO had started doing all this stuff everything was still available, so hopefully he had bought everything.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
As you should have. And welcome, by the way. My comment was pointed at the clip hijack.

You car looks pretty decent from here. How is it under the hood and inside? You said you hadn't planned to mess with it much. Is that because you don't plan to keep it?
I don't mind thread hijacks. They're talking about something I need to know anyway.

Under the hood looks like a crusty Olds 307, which I guess I forgot to mention in the first post. The A/C and AIR system are deleted, but everything else seems stock. The CCC works and it runs decent, pretty gutless, but I guess it was only 140HP when it left the factory. No telling how many ponies have escaped over the years. There's something of an exhaust leak and it's weeping some coolant from places, but I changed the oil and I'll probably throw a set of plugs/wires/cap at it. That will be all I do with the engine unless I change my mind. I take it the areas on the firewall that are covered with speed tape likely are rusted through, and that is common on these cars?

20220523_200324.jpg

As to keeping it I initially planned to just drive it for the summer and flog it again, but that's only because I don't have anywhere to store it come winter. I am rethinking that though. If I still love it as much by fall as I do now, I'll put it back on my trailer, and put both of them in covered storage. If I keep it long term I likely will go to a different powertrain, I just don't see the point in dumping much money into the Olds engine. A buddy of mine is putting a LM7 in his Cutlass right now, which actually is an engine I sold him with a bunch of other parts because I was going to put it in something else but got sidetracked, and I could see tracking down another one to go that route. I just won't have any time to do anything like that this year, or likely this winter either. Plus I just want to drive the car for the time being, as I enjoy it, so no big projects.

I am really torn on doing a quick scratch and blast/spraybomb job on the paint though. The pictures don't show how bad the roof/truck/hood is actually rusting, and it's not like it matches where the vinyl was anyway.

The reasons I don't have time this summer:

ijKolPL.jpg

rGEy40j.jpg

The black Cherokee works and does what it's supposed to, but needs a few things to be better. The Comanche is getting a diesel swap and is plugging my shop. So if I'm going to work on anything major over the summer the Jeeps are priority.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
One other thing for the vinyl top delete is most replace the rear deck filler plate with one from a hardtop, it saves a lot of welding and grinding etc.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
One other thing for the vinyl top delete is most replace the rear deck filler plate with one from a hardtop, it saves a lot of welding and grinding etc.
That's just because of the studs on it?

I'm not sure if I will be able to find a car in the junkyard around here to get anything off of. There's only one yard here that does older stuff, and the owner was a difficult old man... Not sure if he's still alive even. I'll have to see if my buddy has one though. The car came with a spare '88 header panel with headlights, and he wants it bad (personally I prefer the earlier one), so if he has one I'm sure he'll trade me.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That's just because of the studs on it?
Sorry, I thought yours had holes drilled in it for the vinyl top molding but I see that you have studs on there which must be for the lower chrome trim that Monte's and Regals don't have. Disregard.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
Sorry, I thought yours had holes drilled in it for the vinyl top molding but I see that you have studs on there which must be for the lower chrome trim that Monte's and Regals don't have. Disregard.
It looks like if you take the studs out you're left with holes. But they're definitely small enough to weld up easily enough. I'm not much of a body man though, my best work is cutting rust out and then not replacing the metal. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor