Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imports? I've played with a little of everything. A few air cooled Vws, some Volvos, '77 Celica, '93 MX6, the RX7, a couple late 70's Civics, '79 Plymouth Champ (Mitsubishi), '90s Civics and Accords, some Triumph Spitfires. I guess, technically, the Jag is an import. Datsuns; 6 B110s, 1 B210, 1 210, 2 510s, 4 240Zs, 1 200sx, 1 260Z, 2 520s, 1 521, 1 620...not quite the whole set yet.

Done! It's back together and drivable. I have to say that going from an auto to a manual has given this car a whole new personality. The best part is that the wrecking yard transmission, which is always a wild card, is quiet and shifts perfectly. The combination of the torquey LT1, the S10's gear spreads, and the tall 2.56s in the rear turned out to be a really enjoyable end product. Plenty quick off the line and a 70mph cruise at about 1700rpm. Since lots of Gbodys came with similar tall rearend gearing this might actually be a pretty viable option for guys looking to do a manual swap. Plus, the center-forward shifter position is very complimentary to bench seats or consoles. Also no need for a huge hole or a weld in hump-in the side of the tunnel. Just something to think about.
0052-2.jpg

0033.jpg

001-56.jpg

002-47.jpg

I'll probably be on the lookout for a new shifter at the swapmeet in April. The factory S10 shifter has been bent to a comfortable position but doesn't look very good. Still trying to decide between a factory Muncie arm (chrome with reverse lockout) and a classic Hurst arm. Either one will be attached to a short-throw Hurst shifter. Once I have the arm, I'll get the appropriate boot.
DSCN2650.jpg

140.jpg

Sun was shining yesterday so we grabbed a rare opportunity. After I got the engine/trans swap done on my dad's '64 he had my brother detail it. It had been painted by my brother about 12 years ago and hadn't been buffed or polished since. The '68, which he just painted, still isn't completely reassembled or finish detailed yet but still looks pretty nice in the sun. My '66 is is just there for contrast.
001-57.jpg

002-48.jpg

004-31.jpg

008-14.jpg

Quick El Camino update. My dad's been driving it for a month now and really seems to be happy. He ended up getting a shifter package from these guys:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-Tall-Chro ... es&vxp=mtr
He got the short throw Hurst shifter, Hurst arm, white Hurst 5-speed knob, and boot. The boot (no name - probably from China) REALLY smells strong and makes the car almost undriveable so he'll probably get another one. I'll post up a finished pic once it's done.

Sold one of my long term toys today:
009-14.jpg

Now I have some spare cash to put braces on my daughter and start in on my '35 pickup.

Proving that I'm a wh*re that will work on anything...
001-63.jpg

003-44.jpg

'49 Plymouth with 318. I had nothing to do with the build in any way. It was dropped off for timing cover gasket replacement due to coolant leak. Timing chain too since I was there. The engine is pretty tired but at least it sounds good through the lake pipes. Kinda cool so I thought you guys might want to see it.

THE COMPOUND is actually going to be devoted to a Gbody this week! Finally doing some work on the '79 Cutlass. I'll be updating in the build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13162&p=321776#p321776 . After it's road worthy again I'll be digging in to my brother's VW camper. Should have some pics of it by the weekend. I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor of my parents' over the weekend and may be working on some of his stuff soon. Still working out the details so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Hints: '57 T-bird, '55 Chevy convertible, '62 Impala 409, Hemi "Roadrunner", Boss 429. We'll see how it works out.

DRIVEN said:
Sold one of my long term toys today:
009-14.jpg

Now I have some spare cash to put braces on my daughter and start in on my '35 pickup.
this is an awesome thread!!!....thanks for posting it....I don't feel like I am the only nut on here that has a vehicle fetish! :lol: ......anyways, what rims are these in this picture? I am trying to find them hopefully for one of the Ramblers. Thanks, keep posting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor