Projects from THE COMPOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job on the neon. I like the hood. LOL you like your roof racks. The right wheels could really turn it into a head turner. Sort of an ordinary little car but clean with the right paint, clear coat, accents, and all of a sudden it pops and get compliments everywhere it goes. Daughters & wives like this as much as we do only it surprises them more and they have a much harder time on grasping the why. :lol:

Thanks guys. It was a pretty fun little project. She's been driving the wheels off it. I haven't been able to get it to sit still long enough to finish the black trim above the side windows. Just as well, I've been pretty busy with work and my brother's '36.

Rutt-roh! Look who's back.
001-83.jpg

002-74.jpg

Got the call from my Dad Sunday night that he thought his '64 smoked a piston/pistons again. He put the Paxton back on and thought he had lugged it a little too much. It developed a miss that progressively got worse and started smoking badly. By the time it was dropped off yesterday morning it was almost impossible to start, was running on 4 or 5 cylinders, and had almost no manifold vacuum. I was expecting to have to pull the engine and break it down. But first...
-Pulled the plugs. 3,7,6 & 8 extremely fuel fouled.
-Compression test. All 190-195 except for #8 -- 260psi! What?
-By this time I noticed a huge puddle of fuel under the car.
-Hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and cycle the key on and off. 45psi then immediately dropped to zero. Repeated 3 times. Bump starter over and fuel poured out #8 plug hole.
003-63.jpg

Yup, just a stuck injector. Replaced it, cranked the fuel out of the cylinders, cleaned and reinstalled the plugs. It fired right up, ran great and had 20in manifold vacuum. Took a while to cook all the fuel out of the exhaust system but all better now.

Now back to the harness on the '36.

And...it's back. This was a scheduled appointment though. He's been driving around with a 2.56 BOP posi 8.2" for several years and it was just plain too tall. Earlier this year I did a 500 mile trip and found that at 70mph it got better mpg in 4th than in 5th gear. He picked up a 3.08 (which was the stock ratio) and decided to try it for a while.
Just a quick ID shot of the BOP version. Note the smooth, roundish cover with the scallops at 3 and 9 o'clock.
002-78.jpg

We were told that his particular unit left the factory under a '65 Lemans. They really don't share many common parts with the more familiar Chevy version. The axles have a pressed-on bearing like a Ford 8" or 9" and no C-clips. The carrier is different and I've seen conflicting info as to whether the gears are interchangeable. The yoke was larger and obviously the housing is different. I believe the brake parts are the same.

Here's the new one. You can clearly see the Chevy cover on it. Started with some degreaser and pressure washing.
001-86.jpg

The plan was to swap new axle and pinion seals along with brake cylinders. It's never as simple as you plan. Drained the REALLY nasty oil out and extracted the axles. Uh-oh:
003-66.jpg

I called around for axle availability and was quoted $250-$300 and 3-10 days out. Ended up going with an offset "repair" bearing for now. We'll keep an eye out for a better axle.
005-40.jpg

And out with the old:
006-36.jpg

New one in, bled the brakes and topped off the new gear oil. It is noticeably quicker off the line now. Stops great and so far no noisy bearings although the condition of the oil that came out has me a bit nervous. Time will tell. I also drove it down to the shop and did a fuel injection service since the injector I replaced last week looked so filthy inside. Then I ran it over the hill and dropped it off. 15 miles and all is well.

Aw geez...it's contagious. After being around my brother's Westy and borrowing it for a camping trip, my dad decided he'd like one too. This will probably just be a flip that he plans to drive through the winter. He has his eye on a relative's newer Vanagon that may be a permanent addition to his fleet. But in the meantime this will be yet another distraction. Should be fun!
001_zps90db941b.jpg

003_zpsd2455239.jpg

007_zps51ef8e62.jpg

1968 VW bus. It's a bit of an odd (rare) duck. Turret top camper and first year of the bay windows. That means it was originally a panel. Overall it's in better than average condition. Normal rust in the front floor boards and battery tray -- easy fix. Some rust puckers in various places down low but nothing cancerous. Looks to have originally been white (or white and yellow), then yellow, then this blue color over a very straight body. Hasn't been on the road in about 10 years.
Front half of the interior is pretty decent. Presentable rubber floor mat. Great headliner in the front. Nice seats and dash.
005_zps582431d4.jpg

The back is gutted and there's a standard bench seat sitting in there. It's supposed to have a cabinet on the passenger side, a folding Z-bed, a drop down table on the driver's side, and a single seat backing up to the driver's seat.
006_zpsd9ef9b3c.jpg

Some assembly required:
004_zps0f832e0b.jpg

The engine is a locked up 1600DP with a 009 distributor and aftermarket exhaust. I'll see if I can break it loose but it might just be cheaper to replace than repair. More to come.

Not sure about "SERIOUS TALENT", just a few tools, some spare time, and the sick desire to collect 'em all...but thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor