Proper Procedure for Finding a Short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Tracing intermittent shorts is a huge PITA. If you put a fuse in and it pops immediately, your short is touching ground, so this is the best time to run it down. Since you mention courtesy lights in your circuit analysis, the dome light might be to blame. The hot wire goes directly to the light, the ground side goes to the bayonet switch on the door jamb near the hinges. With the door close, the ground is disconnected. With the door open, a spring pushes the switch into contact with the body. Squeeze and remove the dome light cover, pull the bulb. Disconnect the hot lead at the battery. Use a multimeter, connect the ground wire to the body. With the door open if both bulb terminals read zero resistance then it's in that line.

You're right, I meant to say resistance.....:doh:

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well, this has been an issue for at least 2 years lol. Long ago I rewired the deck and lighter to the battery with an inline fuse so my sirius radio would work lol. So this lighter circuit has been unplugged the whole time really.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You have been blowing fuses for 2 years?...and I thought I was a champion procrastinator..:cool:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You have been blowing fuses for over 2 years?...and I thought I was a procrastinator..:cool:

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Look what I found

20150602_193737.jpg

This is the accessory junction block I keep reading about. Its under the dash, right above the left kick panel. The small 1 wire connector is the main power feed, the small 2-wire connector is for the interior lights, I'm pretty sure the big one is for the horn although my horn still doesn't work, but I can hear the relay clicking now. There was one more small 2 cavity plug with only one orange wire that I don't have plugged in, doesn't seem to be for the lighter. I'm thinking the lights on buzzer, but haven't verified that yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor