Proper way to install speedo cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Guys, I had to remove my instrument cluster because I had bulbs not lighting up. When I reinstalled the cluster and tested, I noticed that my speed indicator wasn't moving, I have a sweep cluster..... Is there a proper way to install the speedo cable?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
First, allow yourself enough room to stick your hand behind the speedo. You might have to pull a little slack from the cable. Grab the cable end and firmly push it onto the speedo until the hold down/release clip clicks on. That will tell you the cable is locked in place.
If you're not sure, you can always disconnect the transmission end of the cable and hook it up to a cordless drill. Set the drill counter clockwise and check to see if the speedometer needle moves.

Make sure there's enough of the inner cable sticking out to engage the speedo.

Last edited:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Hector along with the good points Jack pointed out above....the speedo ends will be squared off ....the squared end needs to fit into the speedometer head the right way for it to work. I usually just orientate the cable to the speedo and push the end on..on pic below threaded end goes to trans smooth end to speedo and held on by the clip on the back of the speedo.

L980156-lrg.jpg

Last edited:

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Ok, great tips... It seams that I did not orientate the cable to the speedometer. It was working before I pulled it out.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hector,
I failed to include a few details that Kevin was nice enough to point out. Make sure the inner cable fits in squarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor