PSA: USE YOUR JACKSTANDS, KIDS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
On October 8th, I got word that a guy i used to work with was on life support- clinically brain dead and was having his organs donated. He was a good guy that liked to play with Toyotas, and had a 600hp 3rd gen Supra. Story goes that a car fell on him.
We've all done it- "I'll just be a minute, only doing an oil change" or whatever. It only takes a few minutes to be safer. Ryan was 40 years old. Godspeed, buddy.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 17 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Very good advise for sure ... I always use jack stands whenever I work on my vehicles. Even the easiest brake job could hurt you bad if not kill you.. As the OP stated it only takes a few extra minutes more to be safe ... Take that few extra steps gang. Very good post.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I forgot to say ... Prayers to you and his family from West Virginia.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
Too bad. I see a lot of corners cut where I work and I'm just waiting for someone to get FUBAR'd. In a split second a life can be ended or ruined, all for not taking an extra minute or two.

RIP

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Good advice. I had a Plymouth Horizon fall off the jack doing suspension work and the front rotor missed my head by an inch or so. Been paranoid ever since. Things like jack stands, glasses/face shields, ear plugs, etc... should be common sense but all too often I hear about someone being injured because they didn't use them.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Always a good reminder, sorry to hear about such a tragic event. My thoughts and condolences are with his family.

When i was in high school i had a VW golf that came with one of these jacks and foolishly I was using it at almost full extension. The car fell. Luckily i was just next to it and was nimble enough to get out of its way and i hadn't gotten the wheel i was removing off and no damage to myself or the car was sustained. From that point forward I have been serious about jack/jack stand safety when it comes to getting under cars.
s-l1600.jpg

be careful everyone! taking the couple extra mins to get the car supported, it is not worth your health or life. And SCREW these jacks so many VAG vehicles came with!

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Put a block or wheel chock behind the wheels if you are using ramps. I got ran over and drug by my car when I was 16. Some how I knocked it out of gear and it came scooting down on top of me. Good thing I was small then. You can never be too safe! I could go on and on about crap I have seen.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I don't think I have enough jack stands, or ever will. Won't do anything except an emergency road side tire change with out a jack stand. Got chocks (kinda manditory owning a stick) I use everytime too. I can still remember from when I was a little kid at Ft. Benning (1980) the SGT down the street had his lifted F150 dropped on him on the road side in Columbus changing a flat. He lived but was never the same had to leave the Army on a medical discharge. Gotta have GOOD stands, GOOD jacks, GOOD chocks regardless of what level of repair experience one has. And always use them.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
There is absolutely no reason to not use jack stands when you will be under your vehicle. It only takes a minute more to place them under it. I myself am a little paranoid about getting under mine without using them. Sometimes they might be in the way, but nothing you can't work around. I hope everyone on this forum uses theirs.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor