Public Service Announcement: Keep a spare HEI module in the glove compartment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here I'm dating myself again. In 1975 when GM switched over to the HEI system, failures and call-backs were very common. The prevailing wisdom at the time was to keep a spare module handy. Although I don't know what good that was without the tools and the talent to change it out. But as time passed the culprit was identified as heat from the distributor body affecting the module. It became obvious because when the engine got cold it started right up. The problem was so intermittent that it took a while to nail down a fix. That fix was the dialectic grease that was schmeared on the underside of the module. From then on, replacement modules came supplied with a little pill of that grease. I have to say that I never experienced a module failure but the pickup coil was my bane.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
On my cars never had the modules go bad since I take them out and don't use them when running msd boxes per there instructions. I've had the pickup fail once because a wire can loose overtime due to heat. Thats was harder to pinpoint when it fails especially on the side of the road and it passes the look test but not the touch test to make sure wires are still intact.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor