Public Service Announcement: Keep a spare HEI module in the glove compartment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
It may already be obvious to others. Anyway, thank God I had a spare in my glove box. I went to get gas, filled it up, started it up, then drove right across the street to the garage where they are working on my 78 Camaro. I had it running since I just stopped by to check in and let them know the status of some other needed parts. I get back to the car, and noticed the car was off. The radio was on, and as I tried starting it, it would not turn over. So the owner and I determine the car was getting no spark. I had a feeling it was the module and thank God I had a spare. We put it in and the car started up. The one that went had a GM logo, so it may have been the 43 year old original.

So nonetheless, I'll be ordering another one and keeping a spare. Figured I share that for others who may not be aware. When these go, they go, and the newer ones probably won't last as long as the GM ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
My father always had a spare HEI distributor in his car's trunk... neatly wrapped in a plastic bag, etc. He never used it, but...

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Also a good idea to keep the tools required to change it with the spare module. And the same idea applies to older cars as well, keep a spare set of points and mabey a condenser in the glove box.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I always do, have for years in an hei equipped vehicle, same thing with MOparts. I had an 83 C20 with a SBC, I swear that thing ate modules. I would drive it, park it, then nothing, no spark. Replaced everything, new grounds, ignition switch. Never did fin a "problem".

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
After 43 years, I'd say that was a pretty good run. If this new one lasts half that (assuming an ACDelco piece), and you'll be retired and done with the car perhaps by then.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My HEI failure wasn't as easy...it was the pickup coil. Not a roadside repair, unfortunately. Luckily, it died in my garage.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
About 20 years ago I was living in Denver, Co. on a temporary job transfer. Never learned to ski, because I love riding my 2 stroke CR500 in the mountains. When I first moved up there I traded one of my sport trucks for a '92 Z-71. I loved exploring the Rampart Range. I was single at the time, and every Tuesday (my day off) I would take the truck up in the mountains and drive all the " fire roads ". One morning I took off by myself and went 19 miles ( odometer check ) off the main road. I had plenty of gas, some snacks and I was loving it. Until all the sudden my truck lost power... You know that empty feeling in your stomach... Nobody even knew where I was, and no cell service back then. You know the next steps... getting fuel? Yes, fuel pump is working. Hot battery? Yes, turning over just fine. Getting spark? I pulled a plug reconnected the spark plug wire, then laid it on top of the air cleaner while I reached inside and turned the key.. and Nope. Luckily, I had a small chest style tool box with basic tools, first aid, a gallon of gas, and a good ole' used Accel Super Coil ! Swapped it and hit the key. Thank goodness!! Installed the spark plug, and got the hell out of there. The Accel coil was still installed when I moved back to Houston 2 years later and sold the truck. It pays to have spare parts on board!

Reactions: 5 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Had one go out on the way to work a 4 am idk what it could be and that early I wasn't having it good thing it coasted in to a side street and there was parking available, knew it was the coil after going down the check list of could be's and waited for the checkers to open. For something small and important I'd keep one in the little bag of stuff in the trunk now

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It may already be obvious to others. Anyway, thank God I had a spare in my glove box. I went to get gas, filled it up, started it up, then drove right across the street to the garage where they are working on my 78 Camaro. I had it running since I just stopped by to check in and let them know the status of some other needed parts. I get back to the car, and noticed the car was off. The radio was on, and as I tried starting it, it would not turn over. So the owner and I determine the car was getting no spark. I had a feeling it was the module and thank God I had a spare. We put it in and the car started up. The one that went had a GM logo, so it may have been the 43 year old original.

So nonetheless, I'll be ordering another one and keeping a spare. Figured I share that for others who may not be aware. When these go, they go, and the newer ones probably won't last as long as the GM ones.
How did you make the jump from starter to HEI module?

:popcorn:

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I've been broken down in my 91 Caprice Wagon twice, once for the Ignition Control Module, and once for the MAP sensor (because TBI).

Didn't have any extra sensors, I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor