Putting in 454 in 87 cutlass.. any problems along the way i should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
Im putting in a 454 in a 87 cutlass. Are there any serious problems i need to know getting it to work. Got a turbo 400 trans and getting
a 9inch ford for rear end.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Not a whole lota room but fits fine. Dont know what engine mounts were used. 454 was already installed. Has been yanked out and reinstalled no problems doing that. Have no heat or a/c.
Photo0087.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If you're keeping heat and or ac, i can see some clearance issues. Since no g bodies ever came with Big blocks, you can't really find parts that will 100% fit, but should be pretty simple since every other g ive ever seen had a BBC installed.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For the AC case there will be interference issues depending on what valve covers are used or needed but you might be able to get away with just notching the case.
Brake booster can also be an issue getting valve covers off depending on which booster you have the 9" dual diaphragm booster has the most clearance and can fit pretty much any valve cover.
Stock clam shell SBC Gbody mounts can be used but will typically have to be clearanced on the driver's side for headers depending on style.I use Moroso solids on mine.
Once you get into single plane intakes the little hood clearance that you might have had with a dual plane is gone and now requires a hood scoop.
The BBC is longer than a SBC and the extra length goes towards the front of the car which makes fan and radiator selection a little more critical and most will go with some sort of electric fan set up.
The radiator will also have to be upgraded to a larger size with thicker or added cores the stock one is typically replaced with a good quality aluminum radiator.
The BBC is also heavier especially if it still has iron heads this will drop the front end typically an inch or so which might require stronger front springs, this is where a fiberglass hood and aluminum radiator help get weight off the front end.
Spark plugs and header bolts have much easier access on a BBC compared to a SBC so that is a plus.
But for me the end result is always worth the effort.

Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I have heat only and the motor just clears with stock valve covers. I did punch a hole in the heater box with the valve cover by mistake though, so be careful placing the motor. I had no issues with fan to rad clearance. The stock exhaust manifold JUST clears the steering shaft. 'Direct fit' headers are expensive, but I've seen guys use f-body and a-body headers with some minor modifications. I do have an issue with the wiper transmission though, it cuts into the boot for the number 5 or 6 wire (cant remember which.) Might not have this issue with every gbody, I just cant bring the TH400 up any higher to tilt the distributor away from the firewall. A small diameter distributor would be the solution if you run into this.

And you'll need to buy/build a crossmember for that TH400

Last edited:

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Care to share your fuel system setup tank to carb? Is that a -10 supply?
20 gallon aluminum fuel cell with sump and safety foam and for the engine side I have a 12 AN feeding a Paxton 300 pump with 10 AN from the pump to the BG 4 port regulator then I have a pair of 8 AN lines going to the Quickfuel 1150.
On the nitrous side I have a 8 AN line going to a Mallory 140 pump and also all the way to the regulator and after the regulator I have a 6 AN going to the fuel solenoid.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
If you're keeping heat and or ac, i can see some clearance issues. Since no g bodies ever came with Big blocks, you can't really find parts that will 100% fit, but should be pretty simple since every other g ive ever seen had a BBC installed.
Thx man!

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
For the AC case there will be interference issues depending on what valve covers are used or needed but you might be able to get away with just notching the case.
Brake booster can also be an issue getting valve covers off depending on which booster you have the 9" dual diaphragm booster has the most clearance and can fit pretty much any valve cover.
Stock clam shell SBC Gbody mounts can be used but will typically have to be clearanced on the driver's side for headers depending on style.I use Moroso solids on mine.
Once you get into single plane intakes the little hood clearance that you might have had with a dual plane is gone and now requires a hood scoop.
The BBC is longer than a SBC and the extra length goes towards the front of the car which makes fan and radiator selection a little more critical and most will go with some sort of electric fan set up.
The radiator will also have to be upgraded to a larger size with thicker or added cores the stock one is typically replaced with a good quality aluminum radiator.
The BBC is also heavier especially if it still has iron heads this will drop the front end typically an inch or so which might require stronger front springs, this is where a fiberglass hood and aluminum radiator help get weight off the front end.
Spark plugs and header bolts have much easier access on a BBC compared to a SBC so that is a plus.
But for me the end result is always worth the effort.
Thx so much

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
I have heat only and the motor just clears with stock valve covers. I did punch a hole in the heater box with the valve cover by mistake though, so be careful placing the motor. I had no issues with fan to rad clearance. The stock exhaust manifold JUST clears the steering shaft. 'Direct fit' headers are expensive, but I've seen guys use f-body and a-body headers with some minor modifications. I do have an issue with the wiper transmission though, it cuts into the boot for the number 5 or 6 wire (cant remember which.) Might not have this issue with every gbody, I just cant bring the TH400 up any higher to tilt the distributor away from the firewall. A small diameter distributor would be the solution if you run into this.

And you'll need to buy/build a crossmember for that TH400
Thx man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor