Pypes Exhaust install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Hi. Working on installing a Pypes exhaust on my Cutlass. Needing help with two items, Pypes Tech isn't open until tomorrow.

The rear brackets for the tailpipes aren't lining up with the holes in the frame, and I'm having a tough time getting the mufflers installed. I'm having to angle them to clear the suspension, but not sure if they will hang down too low.

Anyone have any pictures that they could help with?

Thanks!

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Here's the pics, they didn't go thru the first time.

Attachments

• smaller 2.jpg
    smaller 2.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 629
  • smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 1,136

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You have the LCA reinforcement bars in and since they never had them from the factory Pypes didnt have them on their mockup car im guessing. Mine fit with no problems. Probably just take them off or cut them down and run a shorter bolt.

One of my muffler clamps for the rear mount didnt sit in the right spot. If you can see in this picture I used one clamp for the muffler to mid pipe joint and another to hold the rubber hanger.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Yeah, I've had the control arm braces on for a couple of exhaust systems. This seems pretty tight. Thanks for the pictures, that helps alot. I'm guessing I'll have to modify the X pipe or unbrace my car. Not a big fan of either right now.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm guessing I'll have to modify the X pipe or unbrace my car. Not a big fan of either right now.
I would modify the exhaust, I have those braces also and I designed my exhaust with clearance for those in mind.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I run the brackets also - I set my X-pypes up with the inlets to the mufflers outside. Can't remember but I think I ran the bolt for the bracket the other way.

IMG_4065.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I just finished installing the pypes header kit on my SS last week. i have stock rear suspension and had the same issue on the same (passenger) side. took a little heat and a crowbar to it and we added like 2 inches of pipe to make it work. over all im satisfied with the outcome.
sorry I dont have any pictures.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Just a quick update. I finally got a response from Pypes. The race Pro's are reversible, I tried that, and it seems to fit pretty well, but I don't care for the muffler clearance to the driveshaft. As a hope to preserve the robustness of the rear end, I ordered the new BMR rear control arm braces. I'll put the Hotchkis on my wifes GP, so it's not a total lost. I'll see if these help, appreciate the responses so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor