qjet or distibutor issues on 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I don't know how the float could be wrong but that was posted in the first post in this thread so I take the posters word on it. Here are two quadrajet floats with visible differences in the length

iu

yea honestly i didnt see it myself so i'm not sure.. i'm just taking the shops word on that one. They said the float was actually hitting the metering rods. i've never had a quadrajet apart so i'm still learning. he very well could have been blowing smoke up my a** just to get me to spend more money. i've done a lot of other engine, suspension and electrical work, but carbs are still not something i've done much with.

GPNX

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2016
I don't know how the float could be wrong but that was posted in the first post in this thread so I take the posters word on it. Here are two quadrajet floats with visible differences in the length

iu

I understand there are different size floats. i just can't see how it would hit the metering rods

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
quadrajets are a nice carbuator once you take the time to learn how they work. Is there a particular reason you want to keep that carburetor on your engine?

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
quadrajets are a nice carbuator once you take the time to learn how they work. Is there a particular reason you want to keep that carburetor on your engine?

not really a big reason to keep it other than i spent $200 for the carb and then have put another $300 in the second rebuild on it. I"m not opposed to swapping carbs to something else, just trying to see if it was something i just had wrong before throwing parts at it. so far with this carb and the drop base air cleaner and 2inch filter, the factory hood just barely clears so trying to keep from going anything dimensionally larger.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Talk to Ken at Everyday Performance. He may have a 800 cfm core he can build you. It is nice to have the extra 50 cfm on the primary side.

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Talk to Ken at Everyday Performance. He may have a 800 cfm core he can build you. It is nice to have the extra 50 cfm on the primary side.

I sent them an email last night. just waiting to hear back. I also bought Cliffs book and going to read through it.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
UPDATE! Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up pulling the distributor just to double check everything and i'm glad i did. It was sticking badly and didnt want to turn. replaced it and fixed a lot of the run issues with timing adjusted. It still is running rich, but it idles and drives a lot better. planning on trying to send the carb off next week to Everyday and get it gone through, then hopefully the car will be finally fun to drive.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

1980s

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2019
112 degrees is good but as one guy mentioned, what is the vacuum? This sounds like a problem I had with a 350 sbc I had years ago but with a Holly the vacuum was too low to make the diaphragm happy and the rear end ratio was too high (street ratio). Carbs are multiple systems. Transition from idle to the run motivate system as I call it is the accelerator pump's responsibility. I had a bad pump that came with a kit. I could feel it in the pedal. I use the total timing method in my old cars too.

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
112 degrees is good but as one guy mentioned, what is the vacuum? This sounds like a problem I had with a 350 sbc I had years ago but with a Holly the vacuum was too low to make the diaphragm happy and the rear end ratio was too high (street ratio). Carbs are multiple systems. Transition from idle to the run motivate system as I call it is the accelerator pump's responsibility. I had a bad pump that came with a kit. I could feel it in the pedal. I use the total timing method in my old cars too.

I vacuumed tested it last night at the manifold in the port directly behind the carb and at an idle it pulls between 14 and 15 and then bumped up to 2500 rpm it goes up to just shy of 20 on the gauge. timing is possibly off within a couple degrees of advance, but i'm going to address that when i get my carb back from Ken at Everyday. I called and spoke with him Friday, explained what it was doing and he says there is definitely an issue with the idle circuit and possible needs a primary jet change as well as metering rods for the secondaries, but he is going to do a full inspection and calibration based on my engine specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor