Quadrajet or Aftermarket?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
They have very lean idle ports. So lean that even after uncapping the screws, turning them makes little difference. The trick is to drill out the ports to pre-emissions specs. IIRC I think that was around .095". Then you can tune the idle mixture for a more aggressive cam.

Reactions: 3 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I just hooked my choke up to switched 12V, when I converted mine over. Works fine for a summer car. I typically don't have it out less than 45 degrees anyway.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Usage of part number 17085226:
5226a.png

It appears it did not come with the front Vacuum Break.
5226b.png

Rear only vacuum brake:
5226c.png

Front vacuum brake Note the slot in the secondary air valve lever, and only a hole in the rear vacuum brake lever.
5226d.png

The rear vacuum brake installed now is from a G body of a similar year it should have two slots. The vacuum brake should look like this:
VAC BRK. Rear only 2nd Valve.gif

Also missing this linkage that goes to the secondary valve lever.
Rear Brake 2ndary lockout rod.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
The Qjet in the picture is a truck Qjet with the a grey connector for a 2 stage accel pump. Its not a true CCC Qjet. A real CCC Qjet that would come in a G body would have a blue connector for the air fuel mixture control solenoid and a white plug the the throttle position sensor and a normal accel pump.
I have a dualjet in my 84 Monte that sounds more like the one you’re describing.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
They have very lean idle ports. So lean that even after uncapping the screws, turning them makes little difference. The trick is to drill out the ports to pre-emissions specs. IIRC I think that was around .095". Then you can tune the idle mixture for a more aggressive cam.
Yeah Mark,
I figured it to be a lean running smog tuned carb. I'll probably use it for parts. The carb on my car now is from a 400 small block that seems to run pretty well.
Still has a bit of a off idle flat spot. I find that it still out performs the Holley that I had on there previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack an off idle flat spot can sometimes be cured by changing the metering rod. Inspect yours and if it is kind of fat at the off idle/mid range section, a thinner profile will give more fuel at that point. This is another reason I swear by Doug Roe's Rochester book. He shows you the profile of a metering rod and what part of it affects the power curve. He also lists primary and secondary metering rods by part number and specifications. What year is your carb? The Chevy 400 was early 70's right? The later carbs that had the APT feature [Adjustable Part Throttle] you are able to turn the rod hanger adjustment and move the metering rod up or down in the jet itself. That affects your off idle more than anything by getting the rod tip out of the jet faster. There is a plug in the top of the air horn. It pops out and you can stick a double D socket in there to adjust it. I used to use the ground flat end of a secondary metering rod hanger to do that adjustment.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack an off idle flat spot can sometimes be cured by changing the metering rod. Inspect yours and if it is kind of fat at the off idle/mid range section, a thinner profile will give more fuel at that point. This is another reason I swear by Doug Roe's Rochester book. He shows you the profile of a metering rod and what part of it affects the power curve. He also lists primary and secondary metering rods by part number and specifications. What year is your carb? The Chevy 400 was early 70's right? The later carbs that had the APT feature [Adjustable Part Throttle] you are able to turn the rod hanger adjustment and move the metering rod up or down in the jet itself. That affects your off idle more than anything by getting the rod tip out of the jet faster. There is a plug in the top of the air horn. It pops out and you can stick a double D socket in there to adjust it. I used to use the ground flat end of a secondary metering rod hanger to do that adjustment.
Thanks for all your advice, Mark. I do have the Doug Roe Rochester book. I guess it's time to refer back to it again. Very informative, and a lot of good info in there.
I'd have to check back on the carb serial #, I believe it might be a '73-'74 carb. I must have it written down somewhere. I usually like to keep a record of what's what. If I haven't displaced it that is.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack the problem with the pre-1975 carbs is that the metering rods are a little longer than the post 1975 ones. They are not interchangeable. Even with eight years of production, they are much harder to find than the six years of the later ones. Seems odd but that is what I have found to be true. That said, I like to use the later Q-jets simply for the APT, and the electric chokes. The electric choke can be back fitted easily on the hot air choke models. But the old intake manifold choke stove coil type are totally impossible to convert. I have tried and failed. It's funny now, but I used to trip over Q-jets at swap meets years ago. The lowest I paid was three dollars for one. So I stripped them down for parts and I have a large selection of rods and jets to play with. You can get jet sets on Fleabay easily, but metering rods are tough to find and expensive.
s-l960.jpg

Last edited:

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
Oil pressure switch as stated is best way.

First fix your fuel line. It is kinked and won't flow as is.

Second it is the wrong carb. You need a non C3 ECM carb which is pre 1981.
Could you point me in the direction of that carb?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
This would be a close idea.

Basic carb, this one has electric choke, and hook up for auto transmission.

It will need special tool for idle metering adjustment.

I can't vouch for supplier, haven't used their service. I usually pull my cores from project cars, swap meet, sometimes eBay. I rebuild my own, and use vintage oem as much as possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-233541.png
    Screenshot_20231227-233541.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20231227-233553.png
    Screenshot_20231227-233553.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 26

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor