Quadrajet upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I just got my Quadrajet in the mail today and got it all torn down. I was just wondering is there anything I should change about the carb, besides a rebuild kit?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Absolutely but I have no idea what. :) Their are two very good books and several good how to and why articles on the net. I probably would consult a high performance q-jet builder like sparkys carbs to see if I could get the main quick simple mods for your application. Hmnn www.cadillacpower.com has a guy, dave brode he is Q-jet sharp and internet savvy. He might point you to a good how to on the net. If nobody does here.

BILL DEMMER

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
need a little more info.
what are you using this on? etc; etc.

bill

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, what to do depends on application. I have a pretty stock carb from a van on my car with the exception being I trimmed the secondary air valve stop to open it up to a 750, and I tried the metering rods from a 68 Cadillac 472 (too rich!). I also loosened up the return spring on the secondary air valve to get it open earlier. I ran out of gas while testing it at 4am on a back road ( oops!) and haven't really had time to mess with it since. I have yet to really get into tuning mine though, as I installed it after I started the body and the car has not really moved since it has been on. I will probably get into it in another month when the car is usable again.

To get the most from it, you will need to do some research on them both online, and in books. They do take more time to set up, but tend to be better all around carbs once you do. As for advice, I would check the baseplate throttle shaft holes to be sure they are tight. I would also buy a book or two on theory to learn the different circuits and how they work. When you have a specific issue, post it in the engine forum as it gets the most traffic for this sort of issue.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
All of the info is on this post. Its from when I was trying to find what carb to use.

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5092

I did notice that the primary throttle shaft is pretty loose, so I will have to get that taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor