Quadrajet Ports: Manifild or Ported Vacuum?

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Good day! So, I have a Q-jet #17085204 (emissions carb) on an '84 Monte Carlo. Original equipment to the best of my knowledge. I'm in process to swap in an MSD Atomic TBI in the smog-legal set-up. The Atomic has 1 ported vacuum and 4 manifold vacuum ports. My question is:

Per the Q-jet carb vacuum diagram, which ports are manifold and which are ported vacuum?

N
J
B
L
 M
T - N/A (fuel bowl vapor, will no longer be use and will be capped at the canister control valve)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_100914_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_100914_Chrome.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Per the Q-jet carb vacuum diagram, which ports are manifold and which are ported vacuum?
So, I've researched a little via other forums. Some people say that M is the only ported vacuum port. Is this correct?

Also, some people say that some of the front ports are "metered manifold vacuum." What does that mean and how does that work?

The new Atomic only has full manifold vacuum ports. What problems could I encounter without "metered manifold vacuum" port options? Would using a check valve of sorts help?

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
before you pull the carb check the vacuum ports the manifold vacuum ones will have vacuum at idle the timmed or ported ones won;t have vacuum at idle they only have vacuum at higher rpm

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Ditch the TBI and stay with the Qjet. The stock low emission systems in your car are designed for carburetors, not TBI. You would need a low emission setup from a TBI engine. Even then there are legality issues in Frankensteining various different low emission packages together.

Reactions: 1 user

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
before you pull the carb check the vacuum ports the manifold vacuum ones will have vacuum at idle the timmed or ported ones won;t have vacuum at idle they only have vacuum at higher rpm
Too late. I'm on the middle of the swap. Already pulled the carb, remove and blocked off the mechanical fuel pump.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Keep in mind that E-Qjets and TBIs use different styles of charcoal cans.

1989.tbi.vacuum.png

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
You would need a low emission setup from a TBI engine. Even then there are legality issues in Frankensteining various different low emission packages together.
Oh wow, interesting. I hope this not the actual case. And agreed, Frankensteining is a headache I don't want. Thanks for your input.

ELCAM provided a good update. Fingers crossed.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor