Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
it opened a little after five minutes
That indicates the choke pull-off is not working. Test it with a Mity-Vac or just suck on the hose. It should slowly open the choke about 1/4" as soon as the motor starts. After 5 minutes the actual choke is getting hot and opening the flap- not good for cold drive-ability. Don't toss the carb- fix it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree with Mark. I couldn't have explained it better myself.
The choke pull off should work instantaneously, not come on 5 minutes later.

Don't be so quick to un-do all the "smog stuff", unless you can replace it with a non-CCC carb and earlier type HEI distributor. Many times guys do that and it ends up running worse.
I would correct and tweak what you have currently.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jomeogarcia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2018
That indicates the choke pull-off is not working. Test it with a Mity-Vac or just suck on the hose. It should slowly open the choke about 1/4" as soon as the motor starts. After 5 minutes the actual choke is getting hot and opening the flap- not good for cold drive-ability. Don't toss the carb- fix it.
It opens a little as soon as it starts then the of the way after about 5 min. I took off that blue connector and now it has not died on me and the idle is pretty good. Been driving it around for a day.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What blue connector? The choke wire? If you pulled the choke wire off and it works better- you need to investigate from scratch the choke operation. The electric choke is the best and easiest to set up. When the motor is cold, tap the pedal and the choke should snap shut. When the motor starts,the choke pull-off opens it a bit so it can get air for warm-up. After a while, the electric choke heats up, opening the choke all the way. Simple. The connector tab is famous for rusting and making the choke slow or inoperative. Sand the tab on the choke housing until it is shiny. Make sure the connection is good. I sometimes solder a wire right to the tab and then add a bullet connector a few inches away. That way the rust doesn't interfere. EDIT: if the choke is working correctly and the motor runs bad, but disconnecting the choke makes it work better, you may have carburetor issues requiring a cleaning at the least. So start by getting the choke dialed in as described above.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What blue connector? The choke wire? If you pulled the choke wire off and it works better- you need to investigate from scratch the choke operation. The electric choke is the best and easiest to set up. When the motor is cold, tap the pedal and the choke should snap shut. When the motor starts,the choke pull-off opens it a bit so it can get air for warm-up. After a while, the electric choke heats up, opening the choke all the way. Simple. The connector tab is famous for rusting and making the choke slow or inoperative. Sand the tab on the choke housing until it is shiny. Make sure the connection is good. I sometimes solder a wire right to the tab and then add a bullet connector a few inches away. That way the rust doesn't interfere. EDIT: if the choke is working correctly and the motor runs bad, but disconnecting the choke makes it work better, you may have carburetor issues requiring a cleaning at the least. So start by getting the choke dialed in as described above.

I think he's talking about the blue connector on the top of the carb, I think it has something to do with the idle circuit.

dc371220-7302-4809-a344-8930e86dd8bd-jpeg.92035

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The blue connecter is the mixture control solenoid. If you disconnect it it will run full Rich all the time. Not good. And when running on the computer, you need to keep the EGR.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok so that still indicates a major carburetor issue. Sounds like time for a rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Jomeogarcia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2018
The blue connecter is the mixture control solenoid. If you disconnect it it will run full Rich all the time. Not good. And when running on the computer, you need to keep the EGR.
Ok so what does the carburetor and computer need to run correctly? Because I’m trying to get this car running properly. I got it with new motor but I had to finish putting it together. I’m really considering throwing a edelbrock carb and vac advance distributator. Simplify all these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor