Quarter Panel Body work…

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Hotboyrn84, I've been looking at your pictures which have generated a few thoughts. It appears you have the car raised and off of the frame. Depending on how you have the body secured and braced, I am concerned about how much torquing and twisting is happening with the body. If the body isn't secured and oriented flat and square while you fabricate, weld, and make inner structure and outer skin repairs you are locking-in this configuration. This outcome may not become evident until the body is lowered back onto the frame and hinder your body mounts. Another point is how far away from the rusted areas you are making your cuts. The standard I've used and was taught in body fender repair classes is 2-3 inches at a minimum. In some of your pictures, the cuts are right next and on the edge of the rust. I can understand your desire to retain as much original metal and, thereby, decrease the size of each repair and patch piece. Unfortunately, leaving these underlying rust-damaged metal and covering them over with body filler is not a good solution nor approach. Your goal in doing these repairs is to do it once!

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
Hotboyrn84, I've been looking at your pictures which have generated a few thoughts. It appears you have the car raised and off of the frame. Depending on how you have the body secured and braced, I am concerned about how much torquing and twisting is happening with the body. If the body isn't secured and oriented flat and square while you fabricate, weld, and make inner structure and outer skin repairs you are locking-in this configuration. This outcome may not become evident until the body is lowered back onto the frame and hinder your body mounts. Another point is how far away from the rusted areas you are making your cuts. The standard I've used and was taught in body fender repair classes is 2-3 inches at a minimum. In some of your pictures, the cuts are right next and on the edge of the rust. I can understand your desire to retain as much original metal and, thereby, decrease the size of each repair and patch piece. Unfortunately, leaving these underlying rust-damaged metal and covering them over with body filler is not a good solution nor approach. Your goal in doing these repairs is to do it once!
Definitely appreciate it… its level… on Jack stands in the front and in the back a split 4x6 or whatever stand siting on cinder blocks where the tank would be and in the middle 4x6’s on cinder blocks…. For the inner quarters the frame was in the way and it’s tight enough even raised but I was gonna put the car back on the frame for the outer quarter since that’s what ppl see. I’m making up what makes the structure by guess though cause all that’s removed was completely rottted so I have no idea what it looked like.

Yea I’ve see ppl say the pick method and just sanding and scuffing down to bare metal. No one will see it and it’s not load baring really so I just like I said sanded scuffed sprayed with a rust encapsulator the sanded and rust encapsulated again the cleaned the metal and sprayed with a metal rust oleum. I think that should be good. As for the outter I’m not done cutting I started with what was gone and getting solid edges and now I’m gonna make sold lines around that to make my final cuts before starting to build a skin… or at least that’s my thought process

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
A82A5FA7-114F-44EF-9652-9C833118AA8F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
So I’m giving up…. Does anyone have a bead on a 78-80 parts car? I need the passenger quarter panel sheet metal and it’s too tough to fabricate

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Oh, sad to hear you're tossing in the towel. BUT, don't give up...let that part of your project sit awhile. Go do something else. Believe me, when I was caught up in doing the repairs on my 87, I also wondered whether I had bit off more than I could chew. Unfortunately, as we hobbyists take on these kinds of challenging tasks, we expect perfection because it is OUR car. Don't let yourself get caught up in that level of high expectations...we do this because we enjoy it!

When I saw the pictures of your english wheel, I thought you were attacking it like we see on those television shows and jealous.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
We have all been through the "what have I got myself into" The times that I did, I just stopped what I was doing and went on to a simpler task to ease the pain. Then I would come back with a clear mind and continue where I had left the difficult task sometimes weeks later. Clean small parts and paint them. After doing that you will see the fruits of your labor (progress) Don't give up' keep plugging away. Confucius Say: How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time"

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor