question about power windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
So i was wondering what the most common problem was with power windows in these cars? My window is currently stuck down and a couple weeks ago it was stuck up for a few days then it started working again now yesterday i put my window down and went to put it back up and its now stuck down and its going to rain how do you cover these windows with there being no frame.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it could be the wiring or the switch or the motor. Time to break out the circuit tester...
PowerWindows.jpg

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
thanks for the diagram unfortunatly my circuit tester is at work in my toolbox ill have to mess around with it on my lunch break tomorrow. guess im puting a piece of plexi in the door so the car stays dry

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
open the drivers door and with your finger in the widow button play with the wires in the rubber sleeve between the door and the pillar. Those wires can break over time. If the switch is dead you can always jump the wires to get the window up

is there any indoor parking around your work?

Last edited:

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
As PontiacGp stated, an intermittent window problem can be a whole bunch of issues. Last year (or so) when my drivers power window did the same, it turned out to be a dead spot in the window motor. I could actually wiggle the window and get the window to work again. By wiggling the window, I'm guessing that it slightly rotated the window motor shaft and moved the motor from the dead spot. Good luck.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
The motors are pretty simple to install. When I bought my Cutlass last year both were toasted. They were original because I had to drill holes to get to the bolts. Took about an hour to install the first one, half hour on the second. Also found a shorted and burnt through wire on the passenger side going to the switch. Found the dot matrix "Build" sheet in the drivers door under the door panel.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Many times it is just a bad ground on the power window motor and a temporary fix is tap the lower part of the door panel where the carpet is with a rubber mallet while holding the switch whichever direction you want it to go.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Many times it is just a bad ground on the power window motor and a temporary fix is tap the lower part of the door panel where the carpet is with a rubber mallet while holding the switch whichever direction you want it to go.

That's great info! When this is the case, is 12v measured between the case and ground?

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
The window motor does not ground through the door.it gets power and ground from the switch.the switch reverses the polarity depending on wich way you want to go.

Bangin on the bottom of the door will rattle the motor out of a dead spot,replace motor.

Bad switch,itll usualy go one way or the other.

Broken wire in door jam,it wont do anything in either direction.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor