Question about rear springs and air bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
We're replacing the sagging rear springs on my son's '83 El Camino with Moog CC627 Cargo Control springs and adding a set of Air Lift 60733 air bags. The springs are in and they raised the rear of the car 1". This is good! But, the air bags make me nervous. They come with a hard rubber/plastic disc to protect the air inlet at the bottom of the bag. My question (and nervousness) is, what protects the top of the bag from the upper metal spring cup? Should there be some sort of "bump stop" inside the upper spring cups? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

John

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
We're replacing the sagging rear springs on my son's '83 El Camino with Moog CC627 Cargo Control springs and adding a set of Air Lift 60733 air bags. The springs are in and they raised the rear of the car 1". This is good! But, the air bags make me nervous. They come with a hard rubber/plastic disc to protect the air inlet at the bottom of the bag. My question (and nervousness) is, what protects the top of the bag from the upper metal spring cup? Should there be some sort of "bump stop" inside the upper spring cups? Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

John
I just put a set in my 67 442. I believe that puck is to keep lateral pressure off the inlet nipple. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I emailed the company, but haven't received a reply yet. I called their tech support line and was on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up. While I was on hold, I built my own solution. I cut a 2 1/8" "doughnut" out of 3/4" PVC and a 4" disc out of 1/4" PVC. I screwed the two together and installed them in the upper perch above the air bags. These do basically the same thing as the 4" spacers that came with the kit to protect the bottom of the bag. Below, you can see the spacers before I installed them and one of them installed above one of the bags. Problem solved!

John

Attachments

• AirBagTopSpacers01.jpg
    AirBagTopSpacers01.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144
  • AirBagTopSpacers02.jpg
    AirBagTopSpacers02.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
what protects the top of the bag from the upper metal spring cup?
There's no need for a top one.
Yes, the bottom one protects the hose and inlet nipple.
There's nothing on top that needs protection. The spring cup at the top won't punchure the bag. I've run them for years without issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
From what I've found, the tops and bottoms are molded thicker than the sides. You'll find this out when you try to install them.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I emailed the company, but haven't received a reply yet. I called their tech support line and was on hold for 45 minutes before I gave up. While I was on hold, I built my own solution. I cut a 2 1/8" "doughnut" out of 3/4" PVC and a 4" disc out of 1/4" PVC. I screwed the two together and installed them in the upper perch above the air bags. These do basically the same thing as the 4" spacers that came with the kit to protect the bottom of the bag. Below, you can see the spacers before I installed them and one of them installed above one of the bags. Problem solved!

John

fleming442 only had you on hold for 42 minutes before giving you an answer....he beat the company by 3 minutes before you gave up.... :popcorn:

• Haha

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I run the drag bags in both my Gbody's and the Monte's have been in there for many years, as stated nothing is needed on top for protection.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I did, however, improve on their design by sliding a length of 3/8 rubber fuel line over the vinyl air line to protect it from rocks. It's the perfect size to fit in said puck. :popcorn:

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor