Question about rear springs and air bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I’ve had a set in my 65 Malibu SS since 1997. Liked the adjustability of the rear suspension height yet still allowing the shocks to work.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I have them in my wagon for when towing or loaded down heavy. But I installed them with the inlets on the top and used the pucks to protect them there.

I did have one blow out about a month ago when dragging a trailer. But the bag blew out the side, not on either end.

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I would think having the connections on the bottom would put extra stress on the lines from the constant movement of the springs and axle. Up top, not as much movement and less chance of the lines getting caught on something from the road. I'm not about to switch them around now. :whistle:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always just followed the instructions which show the lines only running through the bottom spring cup.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The air ports cannot be pointed up. There is no hole through the upper spring perches.
My A-body has holes.... the bag kept falling down, and I couldn't figure out a way to keep the line from kinking on compression.

Disclaimer: A/G rear springs and shocks are the same 61-88.

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
My A-body has holes.... the bag kept falling down, and I couldn't figure out a way to keep the line from kinking on compression.

Disclaimer: A/G rear springs and shocks are the same 61-88.

Ah, that makes sense. I can see how that would be a problem.

Reactions: 1 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
What Shocks are you using with this setup?

There is an older set of Monroes on the rear now. Once we get the car running and driving, we'll evaluate replacements. We don't have any definite plans yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor