Quick carburetor question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
autowizard said:
What carb are you working on? Holley? Eddy? Quadrajet?
I have a 85' 442, I'm not sure what kind but it looks like the stock, but the air cover (big round thing on top) says edelbrock on it. But the carb looks old.

If turning the spring cover doesn't close the choke, or it doesn't open when hot, change it. They rarely go bad, but they do get loose and out of adjustment. It is a bi-metalic spring that winds/unwinds as it heats and cools. Pretty simple, and all chokes work the same, no matter the brand.

Ok, cause the issue I was having with the car, was that upon turning on the car in the morning it does not idle high, it stays at 1000rpm, and takes alot more of the steping on the gas to turn it on than It use to. So I thought it was that causing it to be that way, do u think that's the problem?

It is a choke problem not a carb problem. The reason i asked what brand it was is some of them you turn clockwise and others you turn counterclockwise. The tighter you adjust the spring the longer it will stay on, so if you live in a warm climate adjust the choke when the engine is cold. Turn it until it just touches the air horn, make sure you stick a screw driver in between the throttle stop on your linkage (the idle screw). Now if you live in a cold climate adjust the choke an 1/8 of a turn more to make it stay on longer. Every engine is different so a little trial and error is needed. Good luck

At this point i highly recomend that you buy a service manual if you cant afford a good one the cheap chilton one will cover all the basics. Nothing wrong with being a noob we are all one at some point in time, these websites and everybody on them are here to help, no question is too dumb or stupid lol. Seriously though if you can find a repair manual it will be soooo much easier for us to walk you through most repairs if you have some basic knowledge or a repair manual to look through. Hang in there, the more you know about your ride the better off you will be.

digimurda said:
How can I tell what kind of carburetor I have?

Go to summit or jegs website and compare pics of the different brand of carbs to what you have, thats the easiest way to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor