Quick question: Fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
Is the fuel pump on an 85 Cutlass with the 3.8 v6 on the block or in the tank? My car broke down last night and I had to have it towed home. I was sitting in a parking lot, started it up, ran for a minute and died. Trying to start it again but it acted like it was flooded. Popped hood, pulled air cleaner, tried pumping the gas a lil more, but no gas smell.
It was too dark to check the fuzes (is the fuel pump on a fuze or a relay???) or anything else, so I had it towed home.
After the tow, I started up the car for sh1ts and giggles, and it started... and ran for 10 seconds and died again.
Would you say fuel pump? I just changed the fuel filter at the carb, but I've driven it a lot since then, so... any ideas?
I'm at work now, without my car or my Haynes manual, so I ask so I can price out the parts. Is a fuel sending unit common to go out on these?

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
It's in the left (driver's) side of the timing cover. Look below and behind the power steering pump. It's mechanical so no fuse. I would check the fuel filter again. sounds like it's clogged. You might have a lot of junk in your fuel tank.

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks. Nice to know that I ain't gotta drop the tank.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
x2 on checking the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor