Quiet E-Fuel Pump

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Is there an electric pump that doesn't thump so much you can hear it inside the car? I have a chepo one that is loud even though it is mounted on rubber shock mounts to isolate it from the frame as well as rubber hoses to shield transfering pulses to the hard lines but to no avail! Maybe mounting somewhere else on a standalone bracket may be the way to go. Ideas anyone.

Attachments

• E-pump (4).jpg
    E-pump (4).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 30

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
An in tank fuel pump would probably be the quietest.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Either in-tank or go "double standoff" by utilizing rubber mounts to hold the pump to a bracket and more rubber mounts between that bracket and the frame. You could try using a plastic CD ignition mount as a bracket, and they're available with threaded inserts pre-installed. Making your own would be just as easy.

Here is a pic of how I'll mount my ignition using two sets of rubber standoffs purchased online to eliminate vibration. I've placed an extra one right up front to see clearly. These standoffs have threaded ends but they are NOT a single solid rod- each end is independent of the other. By using two sets I imagine that the hum of your fuel pump would hardly be transferred to the frame and would be much quieter.
IMG_20231128_211823234.jpg
Pay no attention to the extra washers and such, it's just my way of not losing them.

Reactions: 1 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Make sure your hard lines are mounted firmly with rubber insulated mounts. The lines can resonate terribly, especially if contacting the body anywhere.

Another option is a long shot, but try beefing up your ground at the pump, make sure you're getting proper voltage at the fuel pump. DC motors can get noisier than they should be if the power supply is lacking.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I have from
Make sure your hard lines are mounted firmly with rubber insulated mounts. The lines can resonate terribly, especially if contacting the body anywhere.

Another option is a long shot, but try beefing up your ground at the pump, make sure you're getting proper voltage at the fuel pump. DC motors can get noisier than they should be if the power supply is lacking.
I have from the crossmember to the pump isolated the hard line with rubber at the clamps, that did improve some but it is the thumping sound as you can hear the pitch change as the pump primes. Metal lines can really amplify noise! I'm going to try another pump. Pump is well grounded, I don't think that has any bearing on noise.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I run a facet, they’re quiet enough you can’t hear it over the exhaust and they last many many many times longer than a little square Mr. gasket/Edelbrock/whoever pumps. The facets about twice what that Mr. gasket pump cost but I’ve used several of them and never had one fail

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Mallory 140 used to be the best for this. Didn't have too many small pumps recently. Had a Magnafuel 500 pump in my race car. You could hear that thing running over 4" open headers of 1000 hp engine!!!

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Mallory 140 used to be the best for this. Didn't have too many small pumps recently. Had a Magnafuel 500 pump in my race car. You could hear that thing running over 4" open headers of 1000 hp engine!!!
Thanks for the info but... this is a garage to show car and anything over $$$.$$ is an overkill.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor