DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Who's done this? Details please.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I have the Racetronix setup in my Regal. Since mine was originally a Turbo Regal it was a direct drop in and hook up. If you don't have the wiring already for an electric fuel pump get the Hot wire harness they offer also.(actually if you have all factory wiring still good idea). It is setup for EFI so if you have a carb you will need a bypass regulator to return the excess fuel and pressure to the tank.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I will have the Racetronix hotwire harness but wasn't 100% certain how it works with the Cutlass fuel sender wiring. Would also like to hear about any tricks or tips to make the install easier.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
The wiring is straight forward. Only 3 wires. The hot(12v) power for pump, Ground, Fuel Level Sender. If your car had a mechanical fuel pump then the only wires to tank from the car will be the sender(mine was a pink wire) and a ground. If you get the hot wire kit then only the sender wire will be used from car's original wiring. The tank will drop right out(provided bolts not rusted), lower it down about 10" so you can get to the fuel hoses and take them off.
I dropped my tank, cleaned it all up and re-painted it. I also purchased a new lock ring and sender gasket. Other then that take old sender out install new sender/hanger/pump assembly. If this is a FI application a standard tank does not have baffles which means the new pump could suck air in low tank hard cornering situation.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
So the pink wire on the car for gas gauge needs to connect to the purple wire on the Racetronix harness and that should be it as far as wiring modifications?

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Sounds correct. That should be only change. I would suggest you still use a weather pak connector at the tank for future replacement and ease of fuel system diagnostic, security, control.
I completely rewired my Regal w/ a painless kit and since my car was originally FI, I had the connector that had Power, ground, sender already and purchased the Turbo Regal kit for direct replacement over factory.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i used the GN tank along with the racetronix sender and hot wire kit BUT since my car was carbed the rear connector didn't match the harness, I ended up using a pigtail from a 3rd gen f body to make it plug and play

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I don't understand about the F-body pigtail and why it's needed. Please explain and pics would be VERY helpful too if possible.

P.S. What is the grey wire on the Racetronix harness for?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
the grey wire is the relay trigger wire, I used the f body pig tail because even though it looks like a standard weatherpack it isn't... the plug middle portion has the slot for it to click vs the standard weatherpack which has it on the outside... I just repinned and rewired to make it look stock. remember the harness is intended for the turbo regal which has EFI.
20150613_212726_zpshzwcfkvf.jpg

Last edited:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Thanks for the info and pic but I'm still confused. Unless I missed something under my car, I have no car harness for the one Racetronix connector to plug into. I realize it's plug and play for a GN which has the car harness already there but all I have is a single pink wire for the fuel gauge ( which would plug into the Racetronix purple wire but requires a different style connector ).

So if the grey wire is the relay trigger, what are you plugging it into to get your key-on 12 v? I thought I was going to have to run it up to the engine bay and find a source there ( yuck! ) or have to splice it in somewhere in the rear if there was anything there.

What exactly is this F-body harness connecting? I can't tell from your pic. What is this harness for originally? Can it by purchased or is it a boneyard item?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm just trying to get this done right the first time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor