Radiator electric fan combos??

Discussion in 'How-To's / Knowledge Base' started by Doug Chahoy, Apr 28, 2018.

1. fleming442

fleming442 Royal Smart Person

Don't bother- run some 15w-40, and let'er eat!

2. 83reeeegal

83reeeegal Apprentice

good thing my engine doesnt have a profile here on gbodyforum or else she'd eat u up for speaking like that :cautious: lol, so real question here, should I just wait until september-ish because I already have a 350 on the side which i'm buying parts for lil by lil but the swap itself won't be happening anytime soon... so I'd figure why not just get the electric fan setup in the mean time.... summer time gets REAL hot out here man haha, I wouldn't wanna risk much for the time being.

3. 403Olds

403Olds Master Mechanic

another vote for the Fbody radiator and dual fan combination. although mines a 3rd gen (out of a 88). Has kept my 403 cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. truracer20

truracer20 G-Body Guru

Aluminum dissipates heat far more efficiently than copper. I use a Champion 2 row for my 350 hp sbc in my 80 Cutlass with a single 16" electric fan. Stays cool as a cucumber. During summer nights cruising it often drops down to just over the thermostat temp. Fan set at 195* on 185* off never runs while on the open road or light traffic. It only comes on in stop and go traffic.

5. truracer20

truracer20 G-Body Guru

Radiator hoses may be an issue, 3.8 uses a 20" radiator core and for a V8 you want the 26" core.

6. Rapidride2

Rapidride2 Not-quite-so-new-guy

What year f-bodys work best? Any certain trim/engine combo to look for? thanks.

7. 403Olds

403Olds Master Mechanic

The radiator is the Champion replacement radiator for an 88 firebird with a V8 and auto transmission. I got the fans off the same year car, but ended up not using the fbody brackets and making my own. So really any junkyard fans off a later LT1 B-body, F-body, even the saturn and pontiac models used the same fans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. olds307 and 403

olds307 and 403 Comic Book Super Hero

The 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird rad is the same size as the G body V8 rad. The trans cooler lines are in a slightly different position. The Dodge Stratus fans also fit and cool very well. The Champion 2 core with 1" tubes is the one you want. Actually Copper/Brass is more efficient but much heavier and more fragile, hence the smaller tube size. Why people buy the small core aluminum rads is beyond me. Airflow through a large 2 core will no doubt be much better as well.

• Like Like x 1